Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fear No More



The novocaine from my dental experience today finally wore off a few hours ago. Diane drove me in to my dental appointment around 1145. I was scheduled to go when the drill about 12 o'clock. As it happened I probably didn't start drilling till about 1230. I don't know what is happened in my life but this dental experience has been smoother less traumatic and less anxiety provoking than any experience since the mishap with Dr. Froggly way back in the 50s, When as a three or four-year-old I chomp down on his fingers and I did see a dentist again for nearly 7 years. And never have I not seen a dentist that I was not nearly traumatized by the time I got to the chair.

You'll remember that I had to have those molars extracted wisdom teeth taken out a couple weeks ago actually almost a month ago. My dentist wouldn't pull them and sent me to an oral surgeon for which I am totally grateful. I held out and had the surgeon knocked me completely out. It was the best decision I've made in years. And quite frankly I was not all that stressed-out on that appointment either. I think I have lived under the hammer of my diseased teeth going nuclear for so long that I came to grips finally with my dental neurosis I was willing to do what I had to do to remove the threat of agony. I just knew that there was nothing drew Luke could do that would be comparable with the extraction of my offending molars. Nothing. I also knew that whatever discomfort I might feel would be extremely minimal, I would be numbed up as drew Luke always does, to the max and I would come down eventually ready to enjoy the days ahead

A couple years ago still after I had gotten my new power chair with the reclining seat my dentist, drew Luke, stop have any transfer from my wheelchair to the dental chair. With the amount of spasticity that I have I've always had a difficult time knowledge transferring but staying in the chair, the dental chair once I got into it. Staying in the dental chair was aggravated by the fact of my spasticity and how much of that spasticity could be triggered by the ongoing dental treatment I was suffering/experiencing. There was something calming to me about being in my power chair reclined and I think the dentist quite enjoyed somewhat less triggered patient however minimal the reduction in anxiety was. There's just something about getting done with the procedure turning on the power chair driving away and not having to deal with the trauma and drama of being transferred back into my power chair. Getting drilled in the chair is definitely a win-win. As I said I had five cavities taking care of today. Five! That's a record for me. Drew would've done the other two had I wanted. But five was enough for anyone sitting for me. I scheduled to have the final two taking care of this coming Monday and I'm kind of looking forward to this experience too. The Novocain has finally wandered completely out of my system. I can drink without drooling I can chew without traumatizing my mouth cheek our time and I can taste fully again and enjoy my mouth. I am amazed that I am feeling no after paying from where the Novocain was administered are for the drilling took place. My mouth feels exactly like it did before the numbing process happen at lunch. I feel blessed Not having to experience the trauma of a visit to my dentist. Maybe, just maybe I'm growing up.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being a kids dentist can be difficult at times. However, there are ways to make the task more bearable and even more enjoyable.
see more details:Invisalignlynn