Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Gardener Me?

I have never laid claim to being a master gardener. In fact I used to think that I hated gardening and anything related to gardening. I like to think I can blame my upbringing for that. My dad I think in his ideal world would've had a giant farming operation, cattle ranch or truck farm. When I wish small probably around five we moved from the city out to the countryside. We moved from Boise city of the South Boise which was fairly rural at the time. My dad was able to get a 14 acre farm much of which was pastor our hayfield, thank goodness. However there was enough space for what I thought to be a huge garden.. My dad planted rows of tomatoes,Sweet corn, peas and carrots and anything else he thought would grow. I also think my dad thought this garden would be a great way to teach my older brother and me good working habits. All I know is gardening was a vexation on my life. For one reason or another it seemed I was the one who had to work in the garden. My brother seem to get out of a lot of work, a skill I just didn't seem to have. And I must admit I didn't do as much work as I like to think that I did. My poor daBelievest've been heartbroken the government every night from his hard work and find little or nothing done in the garden. She would end up having to work in the garden to keep the weeds at bay until he himself gave up. The weeds grew huge choke the life out of any green thing in the garden, tomato worms marched in legions over the fruit that real in spite of my poor gardening commitment. The weeds and bugs and size of the garden just overwhelmed me. That's why I'm so shocked at my current behavior. I'm actually trying to have garden. The last couple years the gardening bug has been investing me, given me the urge to go out and break ground, plant seed and enjoy the literal fruits of the earth. We mandatorily excavated a small space in the backyard or garden. We've implanted starts in hopes of bringing fruit to bear. It never worked I just couldn't get to the garden to maintain it or I worked all day at my job and did not have the energy garden after work.. However now that I am in retirement things are different. We have a space behind the garage, a concrete slab with a good Southwestern exposure. We've never really used the space productively however this year I thought, why not try to have a garden space that I can reach that is accessible by wheelchair? Not really I can be totally responsible for the garden. I had water, cultivate, pick bugs/tomato worms and whatever else I need to do. And this weekendDianne and I actually set up a garden space on the concrete slab. It took us most of the day Sunday to do this, cleanup purchase the vegetable starts and then organize and set up the garden space. We didn't! We are excited enough out there every day making sure the vegetables are doing all they can do. I'm finding I love doing this, I love having a garden I just wish my dad could see me now.ave

No comments: