Monday, May 12, 2014

We saw smoke last night, coming from a light,we thought, above my sink in the kitchen. The smoke was not billowing but a whiff circling the light which plugged into the wall. The light was hot to the touch and we had figured we had isolated the problem. Dianne had invested in “puck” lights a few month ago. The small round lights which are battery operated and are great for closets, cupboards and place you need light. These lights are great for emergencies like last night. We really thought we had solved the problem so imagine my shock this morning when I was doing dishes ,I saw blue smoke coming from here somewhere in the back of the sink. This was totally weird I could not really see where the smoke was coming from. I called to Dianne to help me find the source. We had to do some major searching but finally found a socket and the smoke seemed to be seeping from behind the plug. The plug was hot to the touch so we unplugged all the items and sure enough the smoke ceased and thanked the angels or who ever that we still had our house and our lives. We have been in this house over twenty years. According to my neighbor, who was one of the first people in this neighborhood when the who neighborhood was a brand new sub division built shortly after World War II or Korea or something like that, anyway a long time. Somewhere along this houses history the owner added on and added new electrical stuff, circuit box, wiring, etc I m sure this guy thought he was quite the handyman but I think he did a half assed job. The electrical guy we called sort of thought a half assed job was done somewhere and he was glad he was here to fix the half assed job, cha chng!! We have had lights which have stopped working, wall sockets which will no longer hold a plug and other electrical mishaps so we decided to see how much we could get fixed in one visit. The cost it turns out to be in the thousands!! The electrical guy not only can repair the work but offer financing two or three different packages to choose from. But he I nice guy and seems to be willing to work with what ever we can do. I just want the place safe,the fridge on and cooling and the light switches to work when flipped. Once again, I feel like I/we am/are being watched over; most likely Dianne not me, I m sure if it was just me I would be a cinder right now. We took the financing and are getting most of the work cited done. We should have done this work years ago and it is a shame we wait till something serious threatens or happens. I keep getting the test and failing. How long will I test before I learn the lesson of living life proactively and save bundles of money in the process.

No comments: