Monday, May 26, 2014

Somebody Slap Me Please



Today is a holiday, Memorial day, not telly a big one as far as I am concerned. I have never quite understood the day. I remember the parents and grand parents always called it Decoration Day, a time to go over the cemetery and put flowers on graves. For a long time I really did not know anyone who was dead so the day was empty for me except the holiday was usually a celebration of being out of school for Summer or close. We usually had relatives over or would meet them at a park for a big pic nic. I don't remember ever going over to put flowers on graves.

Now, I know more and more folk who have died, both of my parents, a couple of close friends yet I don't get all stoked o go over and put flowers on their resting place. Mom and Dad are over at Santaquin Cemetery about sixty miles south of Salt Lake. I should go over more and I never go over on Memorial Day its a long drive for me and kind of dangerous, Santaquin is smack dab in the middle of Utah County, enough said. My next door neighbors are older, even older then I and they really celebrate the day purchasing I don’t know how many flowers and the deliver the flowers to no less then three cemeteries. I don't think they are doing the cemeteries this year. One of the neighbors had an automobile accident a couple weeks ago and we almost lost him but I think the family is focused on Albert this year and his rehabilitation to decorate graves like the usually do.

Holidays are different in retirement just another reminder that I am no longer part of the workforce. I woke this morning wishing I had somewhere be, a job to get dressed for, a reason to jump the train and head inbound and do something for 8 or how many hours needed to be done. In fact I am thinking of volunteering at the Arts Festival year, an event in downtown Salt Lake City at Library Square . The Arts Festival is a pretty cheesy event but still, volunteering/ working at the festival would give me something to do. The library is right on the Trax line so transportation would be a non issue and maybe even fun. I must need a work activity of some kind. I cannot believe I am this shallow. Why can't I enjoy retirement like everyone else lucky enough to live long enough to retire?


Somebody slap me please where is my sister Faye when I need her? Faye is a great slapper, she is always good for reset. I am really damn lucky, I am retired! I can do anything I want. I have been given a great gift and I best not squander this gift. So get in line to slap the dummy who cannot see how good he has it most of the time. 

No comments: