Saturday, July 12, 2014

Not Quite Yet Gone



I have observed myself becoming more and more invisible as I sink into the abyss we call retirement. I'm not sure if I'm trying to reduce my visibility in my community consciously orifices some bizarre unconscious thing I'm doing. But I've noticed closing out my experience with 211 that are freed up a great deal of time, even if my involvement with two and one was only on Mondays. It was all day Monday. My involvement to an one to hold a out week.. Then I closed out my account with the Wellness project. I started building my home gym with the acquisition of a rickshaw and then this Saratoga Silver. I really believe that this equipment I'm getting the physical workout that I was going to wellness for. I do realize and I miss the social involvement. I tried to make up for that aspect of loss that I haven't replaced the social peace yet but, hopefully that social piece is coming. Wellness took at least three days of my week these were half days it's not more time-wise in this really opened up my week. I feel fortunate in that I continue to offer some time on the volunteer board of Assist, Inc. and even this has fallen off as Assist, Inc. goes through the summer staff take their vacations. I believe I have the whole month of July free of Access, Inc.

I no longer even purchase a bus pass as I had been doing, it's not cost effective, I find paying for my transit one bus trip at the time is the best way to go and even then more than half the time the driver doesn't even take my fare. I really need proof of payment when I ride the train so when I don't get a transfer I purchase the regular fare card. The point beingthe amount I spend on transportation doesn't ever come close to the cost of a monthly fare card even with the disability discount. It is so easy to become invisible it's reinforcing take the easy way out. I found myself sleeping in, and I never do that, I found myself wanting to stay up late knowing I could force myself to sleep into the point of being able to function. I was kind of beginning to worry. I had my little garden to focus on, I was kind of getting into cooking dinners but I was becoming invisible.

Then last week I got an interesting call my old friend Kim, the fellow I used to work with quite close. Kim wanted to know if I was okay with him giving out my phone number to a colleague. I said sure no problem. Not soon after I was contacted by Sherry rupture, ADA compliance officer for the local transit authority. They are having their local ADA anniversary and wanted be to give a five-minute presentation on what or how the transit authorities history with ADA and access is meant to me. Five minutes, five minutes is what they want me to do and I can do that standing on my head. I think I can do this without getting myself into too much trouble. Historically myself and the transit authority have not always been on friendly terms but we are part of each other's history. So, have something on my calendar for next week. The event should be interesting and fun and something to stave off my complete visibility for a few more months.


No comments: