Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Slipping, Slipping Into the Furture


It almost seems I am slipping into a life of mediocrity. This slippage is not intentional it is just that in my retirement I just cannot seem to generate the interest to motivate me to reach out and get out of the house. When I was more focused on the wellness project at University rehab that was a bit different. I was getting up and getting dressed and getting out of the house utilize the transit system in going back and forth and all was good .

The same holds true with the volunteering I was doing with 211 at United way. I had the system down. I was into to 211 every Monday morning for my 8 hours. I loved the ride into the city on the train, I loved hanging with the other operators, being involved with them and the calls. I am good at information and referral and I&R is good for me. Being at 211 puts me right in downtown and I love every bit of being down town. When 4:30 rolled around I rolled out for the week. I was done what a great system. Then with my Assist, Inc meeting he following day—again in the city for half a day. Perfect. When I was finished with the Asssit.inc meeting I felt I had done enough and was happy for the rest of the week—just goosing round and enjoying my freedom.

I still feel I did the right thing severing ties with these two organizations. The organizations were beginning to mess with me and my time and how I did my work. The only problem now is what doI do with the extra time more importantly what do I do with myself and how do I keep my self esteem jackedup to where I need it.

Monday I was pleased when I got call from one of my former work-mates. He wanted to know if it was OK to give my phone number to person with whom I used to work. The next day Sherry called from the local transit authority wanting me to present at the upcoming ADA birthday event. I am to take five minutes give a synopsis of what the ADA and public transit has ment to me over the years.


It's not much but it is enough for me to keep to keep my perspective of who I am and where I have been.

No comments: