Saturday, December 20, 2014

Happy Holidays


As many of you know especially those who have kept up on my Facebook account,I am going through some major personal challenges right now many of which are directly related to aging with spinal cord injury or SCI. All of a sudden about five weeks ago a have begin steadily losing my independence or my physical independence my ability to do and live independently as I had all my life even with spinal cord injury. Little things (which are actually major things) like transferring from my power chair into my manual chair for transferring from my manual chair onto the bed or be able to dress myself. For whatever reason I was not able to lift my leg anymore which I need to do to get my socks and shoes on. I also began to perceive pain in my left arm – – and this isn't really new information – – a left-sided is my strong side so I tend to overuse it or more accurately abuse my left arm. The problem is when I do that inflame my AC joint on the left side I am left unable to do the things I've outlined above. About the same time I started the use of baclofen a medication used to calm spasticity. My spasticity is never been an issue to the point where I needed to seek intervention from medicine. I did have a fairly significant UTI in those weeks which I figured had exhibited itself with spasticity strong spasms so strong I began to be concerned and so for the first time I began baclofen which I have to admit at certain times the reduction in spasticity has been quite an eye opener to me. Now my UTIs aside I really believe my spasms are getting worse for whatever reason. My healthcare provider started me out and lowest dosage possible a baclofen and I was slow to increase the dosage until I saw my healthcare provider. The problem was that Dianne is not getting any sleep because of bouncing literally bouncing all over the bed at night. Weirdly, my spasms don't tend to exhibit themselves until I lay down. That the spasms descend on me in waves. If I can get my legs up under my chest I've noted that I can get my leg spasms to settle down.

So, with the preceding information I set up time to visit with by Doc see what can be done. I have to bet I am pretty defeated right now. But I did meet with her it was a good meeting. She gave me permission to take literally as much baclofen is I think that I need and that is made a big difference I think in my ability sleep. The doc also ordered major tests, she had me take it picture of my neck that very afternoon off to radiology I went.. The next day I was back at radiology for an MRI. The MRI was freaky something I do not want to do again soon. Now reports begin to trickle in and the reports are so freaking barely stand it.

I broke my neck at the C3 C4 C5 C6 area. They fused my back anteriorly at the C5 C6 level. Explain to me at the time that small plates, steel plates were screwed right to the spinal column where the problems were. They removed his tip of my rib round into a paste which they then plastered over the fusion. I really figured that was the end of that. But what they have found is that superior screw (whatever the hell that means) is backing itself out! It says it's about 7 mm into the pre-vertebral soft tissues. The screw is coming out! How stupid is that!?! I've no idea what that means. I don't know if that means I have to have surgery to have that screw pushed back inare taken out completely.


Next week I have a urology consult to see if anything can be done about my perpetual UTI. Who knows what they're going to find. Again I'm having some pain on my upper left shoulder which I believe is related to my back and increased scoliosis.Dianne has been very supportive through this whole medical re-opening of biomedical past. Oh! I also am trying to get back into the Wellness program at University rehab. This is a long story probably a long post and I'll know more about that in a few days. I think once I get working out again regularly I'll strengthen my left side to the point where I hope to be able to do my own transfers and other ADLs. I'm going to have to explore any and all other remedies to some of these issues maybe even to the point of finding some form of assistance like a homecare nurse all the way some form of assisted living.These are all big decisions which are really change my life.

No comments: