Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Mile Stones

Rachel, my speech therapist just left, seems like will not have to see her again in the area speech therapy. Happily back to swallowing anything I can catch with little fear of choking or whatever. So I can eat puddings, celery and other stringy things, meat, soups, breads just about everything I was eating before so this is a good thing. Of course, Rachel indicated she any issues arise to please contact speech therapy immediately… Speech therapy? I still can't believe how involves speech therapy was in this whole process. I mean I understand the surgeon did a number on my vocal cords and other things in that area when he pulled everything over to fuse the spinal cord or column again. I was surprised at how little pain I felt after the operation in fact I felt no pain following the operation in areas swallow. I just had trouble swallowing which I thought was weird. And seriously the liquid diet I was on for so long following the operation nearly drove me crazy no one should have to eat puréed food who is not on on a death sentence. I'm sure I could've gotten back to real food weeks before I finally did and that was only as I was processing out of the facility. What was really interesting to me was that they started doing these little mind tests for psychological tests of some sort, sort like memory tests towards the end of my stay at the hospital. Those stories they would read to you then ask you questions about individuals in activities in the story. I did not think much about this and tell I started trying to do one of my favorite pastimes which is cryptic quotes as found in the local newspaper. I really got to be quite good at cryptic quotes, solving these interesting puzzles but I found after my operation couldn't do a puzzle no matter how long I stared at the the puzzle I couldn't get the solutions that I used to relatively easily. Rachel, of course did not have much of an idea of what could be happening but gave me some ideas of what I might be able to do to increase my ability to get back to some of my problem-solving skills and I appreciated that.

I also met with my physical therapist this morning first thing. He had asked that I meet him the next time we met in my manual wheelchair quite frankly really threaten me. I am really quite shocked at how dependent I've become on my power wheelchair and of my power swing. I tried sitting in my manual chair couple weeks ago and I couldn't even stay inside the chair I slid right out fact I spent the whole day trying not to us while on the floor. But I was totally surprised to find out how easy it was to stay in my chair today so Greg, my physical therapist, worked out in my manual chair and after which he slinged me up movie to my normal power wheelchair. He left and I was a little sad because there's part of me that wanted to stay in the manual chair and write out the day hopefully they'll be days for that come. I love being able to get to the dishes which would sitting there for some time.

Some done with speech therapy, I passed another on the latter to getting better place to the point where I was a I'm not even talking about pondering the idea that one neurosurgeon gave me about fixing my hands. This guy was trained up sale believe I may have talked to my already but if not believe me I'm going to.

Last night was on Anakah's birthday, actually it was the day before you know teenagers got a grab at their own time. Anakah is 15 years older it's hard to believe you watch somebody grow you don't realize how fast life is going but there she was last night perfect young having dinner with her family and some silly little restaurant sizzlers for the fact. But we love spending time with her a little time we can find her she can find us it's all the same life is fleeting grab the time with what you love as much as she can fish never know how long you've got.






No comments: