Sunday, May 24, 2015

Double Yoke Sunday!



I cooked bacon  and eggs this morning, I know that's not a big deal but it kind is a big deal for me. This is the first bacon and eggs are real cooking I've done be for January of this year. January is when all the stuff that is that happening to me primarily the stenosis, surgery and rehab. We have had to restructure our home so that I can live upstairs but doing so has thrown the house into chaos. I'm not even been able to get to the cooktop let alone do any cooking. However, that is changing little by little as my rehab continues.

Gail was my staff this morning. Normally Gail comes in the evening and usually Saturday and Sunday nights. Gail is quite old for a home health worker but she does a good job all things considered. She's a bit flighty but can be talked through most anything. My evening routine is a bit more complicated than my morning. My morning routine pretty much consists of getting me dressed, slinged up and into my chair and that's about it. Oh they tend to make my bed and move some of the things around in my room but all in all my morning routine can be done as quickly as 30 minutes leaving staff to take off. Most staff don't even question the idea that there leaving a half an hour early for charge hour. However some stuff like Gail want to do something to fill out the rest of the hour since I am charged for the whole hour. Gail asked if I wanted her to make breakfast and I was a bit taken back and I said “no”. I'm always amazed at what home health workers do, are willing to do for their other clients. I am amazed that people with insurance programs that cover it seems like endless hours of home health service. That would be great but it's not what I have. I think I'm content with what I have in fact I may even have too much. I have some guilt and that I should be doing more as far as self maintenance goes really is easy to get seduced into having someone else do basic things for you. I could tell Gail was a bit confused as she left this morning and the first rays of sunshine.


Counselor cleared a path to the top rearrange some items on the counter to have enough room for the dripping dish, I pulled the bacon out of the fridge open it up. I got my good elsewhere frame pan out and put it on the stove turned on the heat and went to town. The stenosis left by left side significantly impacted over the past couple months I've gotten more and more Movement on my left side. I can still feel the impact of my loss quite significantly, what used to be very easy moving the bacon for the package to the pan is now like lifting weights and my arm tires quickly. I can support my left arm with by right and do a lot of things with the supported arm it's just weird to have to live that way but I see myself doing it more and more almost naturally now whereas out notice that I'm holding my left arm in my right. It's okay I can still cook breakfast Dianne smelled bacon and got up And broke the eggs into the frying pan. I can do this, but I'm astounded at how difficult it is for me to break eggs into a pan to fry. I am surprised how much you have to use your left side to do this act of cooking. But it was a good thing because Dianne cracked two eggs that had Double yolks! This is major luck any luck is good luck and today we may have struck it rich. Rich in that I recognize I have taken another baby step back to my independence. Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

No comments: