Tuesday, May 26, 2015

"Get Along Little Doggei It's Time To Go Home"



My power chair, a Quantum 6000 Z died last week, I mean really died stopped functioning altogether. I knew that was coming, the Quantum has been acting funny last couple months. I don't know if it was the controller or bad batteries are whatever but the chair finally died. I've been hoping to nurse the machine for another month or two since we ordered a new Quantum a few months ago. Actually, we started the process years ago well a year and a half at least and for one reason or another the machine never got ordered which is a bit of a pisser. So hopefully the new chair should arrive by the middle of June at least that's what the sales guy says, I'll believe that when I see it. So In the interim we purchased a powerchair from a state-funded program called Create which takes used chairs fixes them up or checks them out make sure there were thing then sells them to the public at a significantly reduced price in this case $250 which is a deal. I was hoping to have the chair for the holiday weekend but it just did not work out that way. I have been pushing one of my two manual chairs the past week and that has been a real challenge. I am hoping to pick up the chair tomorrow at some point and hopefully I can use this chair till the new chair arrives. I'm trying to look on the bright side in that yes I will have two chairs that should be a relative quality sort of one of the chairs goes down I will have a backup chair. The problem is the chair I'm getting is very similar to the chair which died which means it will take alot of space in my house so I'll probably have to store the chair in the garage where it'll take up space there and begin to deteriorate at least the batteries will.

I had a love-hate relationship with the Quantum 6000. The best part about the chair was that it would travel at 8 miles an hour which does not seem very fast but for me it was incredibly fast. Most of the chairs out there average about 5 mph the extra 3 mph makes all the difference. I was working then and had to cover a lot of distance to go for my home to the train station. The Quantum had some issues, for instance , I had a tilt back feature on the chair which actually laid me back taking massive weight off my butt which is been very helpful. But from the beginning the chair all in the back position would intermittently stop working it took me a couple months a lot of terror to figure out what to do in those situations. I took the chair in a number of times but no one can ever figure it out. I never could really get cushion in the chair that would really protect my butt which vexed me the entire time I owned the chair. There are a bunch of other little things the chair challenged me with but all of all the chair never really failed me. I had the technician take an image off the controller box that showed the last mileage of the chair 4747 that's right almost 5000 miles. I did those miles in five years so it was time for it to go I hope the chair enjoys its rest . Initially the idea was I would take my chair to this program and they would go through and rehabilitate the chair however when we got there the guy offered a us a chair that was much the same, nearly new and could be ready in a couple days, supposedly.


So today I am counting on getting that chair I have things to do, places to go and people to see. I'm such a pessimist that I just know somethings going to go wrong either in getting the chair are when I'm out driving in it because as the way things go… Or maybe just maybe I'll hit a home run touch all the bases and score!

No comments: