Sunday, February 28, 2016

Apostle of Lost Causes

I am the apostle of lost causes. Whether by the dumb luck or circumstances I am usually counted as the one or a member of a group whose agenda has no chance of succeeding. In grade school I always support of the Indians or whatever minority group seem to need support. I felt I need to support these causes since nobody else would. Even though I did not like sports I am here and with support of the underdog because I felt sorry for the crew. I don't know why I did this I suppose it was just a calling.

Later as a person with a disability, I was the group who is disenfranchised. Of course did not notice this at first but as life went along and I got into high school and college / University I begin to see the affiliation. Everything from being locked out of major events, classes and employment because of architectural barriers to a less than active social life because of the stigma of disability. Now I once again I'm sensing the same isolation in the political arena. Yesterday Dianne and I attended at Bernie Sanders rally / March here in Salt Lake City.

It was a beautiful day, it looks like spring is getting a hold on the local environment. Warm enough to venture out without tons of clothing and basking in the Sun felt wonderful. Dianne swing by the SNF and pick me up and we went down to the Trax station to catch the train downtown. The day was perfect, and we decided to link up with the rally as a past attract station downtown electing not to go to the beginning of the rally. We were a bit concerned. We were a bit concerned because we ended up waiting for about 35 minutes before the marchers finally reached us . Finally however, they showed up and we blended in with the group.

The March was good, I had forgotten how energizing the group people all for one cause can be. I have been involved in several marches over the course of my life but done recently. Just kind of tough marching with a group of people when you're in a power chair because all you really see is a sea of butts and boobs. You have a sense of the power all around you but you can't see it as much as the able bodies can. We marched and marched but seems like forever but only for a 5 Salt Lake City blocks until we got to the City County Building. You left the group at that point and headed to get something to eat. We were kind of shocked as we backed out of the rally to see how small the group was. The group seemed so much larger on the city streets hemmed in by sidewalks in the buildings. Is a large area however our group diminished significantly. We once again or I went again saw that I was part of a disenfranchised group on the whole. The March provided a goodtime time it was great getting out of the SNF. But the news shut up best when they reported how badly Hillary had beaten Bernie in the South Carolina primary. Yes, I am the apostle of lost causes.

No comments: