Thursday, August 18, 2016

Every Picture Tells I Story


The other night I had a dream About all the images I have in my picture box. The picture box is a receptacle of all the images of my history before the rise of digital cameras. The dream woke me up really got me thinking. My mom is the one who put together what picture albums I have. And I'm totally indebted to her for this monumental work – – monumental not because she put together such a focused image album for me but she did this for all the kids in the family. There 10 of us in near as I can tell she's done the same for all. This is not one album I have two or three some in different states of disrepair and some that I've dismantled on purpose in order to retrieve images to scan onto the hard drive that I could use for posting and other bits of writing that I do. It's even more incredible is that on many of the images or pictures she is actually handwritten comments that describe the event. Some are somewhat silly but others I think are extremely valuable to try to cobble together a narrative of our family.

As I lay in bed trying to chase down just a little more sleep I kept thinking, there are a lot of images that are specific just to me. What is in the other kids albums? I would really be interested in seeing what's in their albums. There's gotta be a host of images I've never seen that's from the older kids early life before mom and dad married. The same is true with my younger brothers and sisters I wonder what images were taken them in their different school, church, athletic activities that I've never seen. I put together all kinds of thought projects that would establish a family center for all the images would be kept preferably online to where these images could be checked out, copied and used to their full potential's for whatever family members might want to do that.

Of course in the light of day dreams fade and perhaps that's best. There are a lot of undertones in my family's history – – mythology. However, I'm still fascinated when I come across images I've never seen before. As I looked in this last album that I got for my mother before she died, she had done a monumental not work together images of my dad and his family as well as her family and many of the kids especially older ones had never seen before. I wish I'd been able to access the trove of images that my mother worked from or at least the negatives before they're thrown away. That's truly what happened to all those images were tossed.


Rod Stewart sings “Every Picture Tells I Story” that's so true and what's also true is the story that area picture doesn't tell…

No comments: