Thursday, August 11, 2016

Gift Card Dilemma


One of the constants that I rely on is that one of my kids will give me a gift card to Amazon whatever the holiday might be. Christmas, birthday, Father's Day whatever holiday I can look forward to a gift card. This Father's Day was no exception Mark A came through with a gift card. 20 bucks! Not a windfall but enough to have a couple books are memory card or something. It usually comes as an electronic card and that's cool. I just hold on to it when I need is there. This year about the same time I was notified by Amazon that I had received eight or nine dollars as being part of a class-action lawsuit against Apple Inc. and their conspiracy trial. Amazon just informed me that the dollars have been put into my account which I can spend any time I wished. In the meantime of course I inadvertently deleted marks email with the gift card and more importantly the gift card number. Things are busy of course that the big couple weeks to get together the point of calling Mark and asking him to resend the card which he did. So I had $20 on the gift card plus the money I had on the refund from Apple that came to about $33. Inadvertently again I just added one card to the other gift card and in the meantime somehow lost the numbers or the numbers wouldn't work. This was a frustration I tried to download a number of books but I just couldn't get Amazon to recognize my credits. Finally I figured I just better get to the bottom of the whole thing called customer support. This is where I realized Amazon does not make it easy to find their customer support number it literally took me days and emails but finally I got a number and I called. Of course I got a hold of some third world call room and an operator who had fairly good English skills but still it was a challenge conveying to that person but my needs were. In fact at one point I lost contact with the individual entirely and I thought he'd hung up and this is after about 30 minutes of conversation. I really just figured it had enough and broke the connection. I can't say that I was angry or even frustrated figuring this was par for the course and I would have to deal with this again on another day. Imagine my surprise when my phone rang and I saw that it was a call from Washington state and I grabbed the call and it was the operator who actually called me back! I couldn't believe it. I was so impressed I was beside myself so we continued the call and basically he was passing me off to somebody a Kindle phone central. But he cared enough to call back to call me at my home I did not know he had my number.


The operator Kindle was also great and prematurely for the most part. He at least figured out how I could access my balance to use on further Kindle or Amazon purchases this was great. He also assisted me with the purchase of the volume I was interested in. The only problem was she did not download the volume directly to my tablet but placed it in the online library of mine which I figured I could go back and access and download the volume to where I wanted but that is not been the case. I cannot find my on line library. Which I am frightened the mean another call to Kindle to have them talk me through or maybe just drop down to Best Buy and ask one of their techs to help me find my book. It shouldn't be this hard but I'm just happy to have I am just happy to have 30 more dollars to spend and a way to spend it.

No comments: