Friday, January 20, 2023

So Long Ted

 



Y'all know how I feel about papers on the door particularly papers/announcements for management. I know I'm being a bit paranoid but I don't think they ever do any good so I never take the documents down rather leaving the job for an overzealous neighbor wanted to help the disabled guy or more usually when my home healthcare folks who feels this is part of their job to bring in word from the outside world. This time the notice was green in color – – not that means anything specific except for that's just what Jennifer had an abundance of when she made the copies to distribute to various doors in the community. Today's notice was official notification that Ted the company maintenance guy who was basically here 3 days of the week was being transferred from our facility to another in the agencies system of apartment complexes. Something to do with budget constraints of one building over another or because one building was under a certain kind of a grant that don't had more money so they could afford Ted full-time and we get another guy at a lower expense. Really this is just smoke and mirrors I suppose the private nonprofit equivalent to a shell game.


I try not to get too attached to anything anymore particularly in this house in the event that I'm currently in. Whether it is Jennifer the front desk or Ted in maintenance change is inevitable but still to get attached to good people. Ted is definitely a good person. They not only works hard but he cares about the people he serves and often did things totally out of his job description when needed. Case in point he worked on my power chair number of times saving me stress and pain of having to have the chair taken in for work or on my electric bed or my shower chair knows what else. There is another maintenance guy when I 1st moved into this place named Richard who in my estimation was worthless. He sat on his old fat butt all day gabbing with Jennifer at the front desk (who was too nice to throw them out like she should) or refuse to do anything that would cause in some distress. If you'll remember shortly after I moved here I got my chair stuck in the loose gravel and had to have the firemen, come and rescue me by lifting my chair out of the rocks which one man could done i.e. Richard but would not do because my power chair was too heavy. I never got along with the guy obviously the class a jerk.


Ted looked a lot younger than his age, stocky muscular and covered in tattoos and a pretty decent beard. He was always in good spirits as dear as I could tell. I was surprised when I found he was in his mid-40s. I often thought of him as a teenager. Jennifer wept when she told me that he was being transferred. Like all blue-collar folks who work so hard there is no big to do or anything when he left the building for the last time as our maintenance guy. He just said goodbye to everybody gave a thumbs up and had 1st truckthat's a good guys do and drove off into the sunset…

No comments: