Saturday, June 09, 2007

Garden

I was up early today for a Saturday, dressed and out the door by 9:30. I drove my van to the nursery behind my neighborhood looking for starts I could plant in the garden. Last year I waited too late in the season and missed out. This year I vowed I would get my starts and I was fortunate to find four looked over banana squash plants, a little hammered but I think the plants will pull through. I was able to secure some acorn and goose neck squashes as well. A green pepper, ichabon egg plant and two good sized tomato plants rounded out my haul. I stopped at Lowes and picked up a couple of bags of concrete as will. The concrete is for the holes the late Ginger dug at the gate to the back yard. I cannot access the back yard until we get these holes filled what a pain. In fact the concrete I first bought was slow curing and I needed the quick (three hour) curing kind. I am in a hurry to get back to my back yard.

Dianne was just getting up when I got back and she was most excited that I had been to the nursery and picked up the plants which are to be our garden this year. In years past I have actually purchased seeds early in the year and actually sprout these little buggers. In another place in time, when I had more time and space, I quite enjoyed this part of the project. Now, however, life is just too fast and space to precious to dedicate the area I would need to develop my own nursery. Dianne planted the garden this afternoon and now we must water and wait. I spent the afternoon reading my new Stephen king, Lisey's Story( thank you Linda). It's a great read, my first read of the summer. In fact it calling now. Have a great night!

No comments: