Monday, June 04, 2007

Monday After

Coming back to work from Friday was a bit of come down. I realized now, I have to do follow up: thank you letters, making sure images get out to those who care and dig in and just work. Droll methodical work especial Monday ,morning work when I am still trying to clear the cob webs out of my head.

Yesterday, was my son Mark A’s 31 birthday. Believable. I had text messaged Mark a couple of times trying to figure out what we could do but was not able to make contact. I should have called but I didn’t. I am becoming a real believer and user in text messaging. So I felt if Mark got my text message he would eventually call-which he did.

In the mean time, Dianne has known for the longest time I have been interested in getting a “real” bbq pit. A smoker, the kind used by real folks serious in real barbeque! Dianne picked up a smoker at the Smiths super store-the kind of smoker that looks liken a black barrel cut in half on some sort of base. Of coursed the smoker was in a million pieces-“some assembly required”. Now, I pride myself ,for knowing my limits and I firmly believe and staying in side those limits. Putting together multi-parted products is beyond my limits. I have learned this sad from trying to put together model cars, airplanes shelves or computer desks. The companies ship these dissembled project with screws missing, no holes being where holes should be etc. In fact I actually passed on this item a couple of times this year just because I or someone I loved will have to put the item together.

Dianne, however, does not have this aversion to failure and one, purchased the smoker, she decided to put the sucker together and the project was started about 2:00 -O-clock. Luckily we also started CHILDREN OF DUNE in the DVD and oddly enough both finished at about the same time. In the process of assembling the smoker we only lost two or three bolts and a couple of nuts. We ended up drilling two holes where holes supposed to be and ended up with a working piece of equipment.

Mark called as we were nearing completion on this project. I was glad to speak with him and wished Mark a happy birthday. He asked if he could come over and I answered in the affirmative, of course. We had just lit the coals when Mark, Christy arrived with Jasmine. I could tell this gathering , hat ever it was was going to be the closest thing Mark would get to a recognition of his birth this day. So, I out burnt offerings of ribs, hot dogs and kabassa ring and Dianne actually crafted great dinner of melons, grapes and pineapple to go with the meats and baked one two layer cake. We even produced a signed card and check for birthday greetings giving the illusion had been planned. Mark seemed appreciative and Dianne and myself felt good about out spontaneity. One more birthday in this set and we are done till the winter holidays pretty much. I better start saving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like an eventful day! :)