Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day



















We were going to have the Father’s Day bash at our house so I could really “road test” my new smoker. We just could not pull off the event. The house is still in such disarray that we felt we could not host the family. Instead we called on Bridget and Gabe (B&G’s)to use their place for the cook out. Bridgit and Gabe, of course, had no problems but backed the eating time back a couple oh hours which was fine with me—since Mark would not be available until after 2:00.

Since we were going to have he dinner initially at out place we had a “ton” of protein thawed and ready to cook. So we brought most of the meat which was offered up as sacrifice. Chicken parts, sausage link, hot dogs, beef ribs flat iron steak and more. My theory is to always prepare for a third world country and you will always have leftovers for the week to come. We also elected to stop at the market on the way over to B&Gs snagging, chips and buns and other last minute items we deemed might be needed.

I elected to take my power chair knowing I would be effectively locked out of the house dues to steps entering the house which is fine I figured I could stay out side since the late Spring has been warm and dry this year. B&G have a small backyard made even smaller do to G’s experiments at building terraces and xeriscapeing but very nice and inviting and this yard is where he has his huge gass grill set up. I did that horribly father in law thing and supervise Gabe as he cooked and grilled.There was so much meat that Gabe ended up make three complete grills full.

When I had visited with Mark earlier in the week via texting I sort figured he was on his own because his little family had headed out camping but Mark had to work so I figured it would only be him coming but surprise, surprise Christy and Jasmine also came and that was great. Soon everyone had plate piled high everything meat imaginable.

With everyone fed, some one brought the badminton and the group untangled the net and set it up and the games began. The teams were team in laws _Gabe and Mark A against team Brown( Brooks and Bridget). Anakah and Jasmine even got into the game off and on but when the game was for grown up the laws against Browns. Aggressive badminton was played for what seemed a couple of hours before I started making “home noises” which was the signal for others to split as well. We played our games on the front yard, screaming, yelling and visiting among the grown ups, Mainly Christy and Dianne and I took images document the event. From the time that Dianne and I had arrived until we left was almost eight complete hours. We made summer family noise I have not heard for years. People coming together for a summer after noon to enjoy the days and themselves and each other. I hold my breadth in fear of not being able to replicate the event. Everyone, EVERYONE, gave the illusion have having a great old fashion good time. The day seemed so full of summer promise possibly due to the fact the Brooks is leaving for Vancouver in two weeks and we don’t know when we’ll be together again.

No comments: