Monday, June 11, 2007

Hats




A number of years, well over ten years, the local transit authority flew me to

Portland for a couple of days to try out the Portland light rail system in hopes of winning me over to light rail as a form of public transit for the Salt Lake area. I was apathetic at best regarding light rail for the SL valley. I really did not care what the Authority did as long as they built what ever the Authority was going to build with wheelchair access.

I have to give the Transit Authority credit because not only did the trip and the trips on light rail win me over to the concept but made me an ardent support of the cause. I came back ‘hot’ for the service and I would do what ever I needed to bring about the as soon as possible. I loved Portland too. I don’t know if I would categorize my feeling as “in love” with the place but on my return to Salt Lake I told many who asked and many who did not ask that if I had to relocate to anywhere, beside Boise, Portland Oregon would be that place.

I had quite a bit of time on my hands and was often when this is the case and I am in a strange city I get out and explore. I was in Portland before I was using an electric wheelchair full time so I was pushing my old Boing (colors manual wheelchair) and in my travels I happened to pass a huge building, like a huge cube. It was the NIKE cube,a a huge cube of building I assume is one of its sewing centers. I was even more excited to see they had a seconds store a retail outlet where the sold product with small defects which not not be shipped to their regular outlets. I fell in love with what I call their “backward” hats. A cap which looks like a jockey hat worn backward with the kangaroo right in the center. I did not by a hat that day but wished I had ever since. A few months ago when Shelly informed me she was going on weekend trip to Portland I asked that she try to find the cube and if she did find the “cube” and if they had any caps s for sale that she pick one up for me. Shelly came though finding the outlet and she picked a hat for me and sent it for Fathers day. I started wearing the cap to work this morning. I think is much finer to wear then the baseball cap I have been wearing. A true bit of style. The label on the back is the same little kangaroo but is now called Kangol.

I even went to their website this morning at work and was 'wowed' by all the other hats they offer. I am temped to buy when one of these first days I wonder why I had not thought of going to the website before.

One of the nice things about being bald is I have a legitimate reason to wear caps and as long as I have to be bald I am going to be wearing some styling hats.


No comments: