Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Like Thieves in the Night

There be a storm blowing in the sky has turned to a leaden gray and the temperature is beginning to drop. I was out at lunch to do some banking and window shopping and the outside temperature was in the 90 degree area…now, it 85 degrees and dropping and the drop is to continue tonight until it bottoms out at 50 degrees or so. So tomorrow I’ll be wearing a jacket again but just a fort a short period until the low pressure plows though. I have to remind myself every year this happens. We get a couple week or more of really great hot days. Then right round the first of June or when ever school lets out for the summer, you know kids in cut offs and bare feel. Wham! A cold front barrels through and every one gets sick. I just hope to get before the thundershowers forecast for tonight decide to let loose.

I got the call from then efficient little sister, last night wanting to know what I had done regarding the upcoming family reunion; Item 2 in my triple crown of summer stressors this year. She called me on my cell an as usual I did not get a chance to grab the call before the call was sent to voice mail. When I played the message back I shuddered with fear knowing I had done little except call my competent little brother who I knew, at least, had the picnic pavilion rented and I knew we superficially talked about having the families responsible for their crews i.e. everyone one is too bring a dish, beverage and desert which would be added to a common table of abundance to be shared by the whole family. We still figured we could all go together for a meat product—last year we did fried chicken from a supermarket deli and actually, the chicken was great and tasty costing much less then fowl from the Colonel. We have decided on this route over the past couple of years since would basically free up my younger brother Paul, which had traditionally been the cook, to better join in with the visiting with the others at the reunion. I guess there have been some issues of who is paying how much for what when we have added the whole mess together and divide the total by the number of families. I sure hope we can dodge the bullet this year.

I was reluctant to make the call but Dianne encouraged and I dialed and Leah answered. I was pleased the call seemed productive. So we are on line, the park space is rented, and there IS a fire pit should be get the itch to cook, Paul will be in charge of the volley ball net and other items of physical play—for the younger family members. The old guys will sit round eat fried chicken or water melon spitting the seeds between conversations and hopefully when all are done and the day is gone we will able to just dump every thing in the nearest dumpster and be gone. Like thieves in the night.

No comments: