Sunday, June 10, 2007

Work with me Little Printer!





Again, I get so frustrates at my inability to communicate with and repair my electronic equipment. Today the focus of my stress is my HP Deskjet 5440 printer. I purchased the machine last spring not long after New Years when the main printer stopped( another HP—when will I learn?) working. Dianne was in the midst of some major printing projects and we needed a printer which would at least print text. So, I bundled up and trekked to my local COMPUSA and got the little 5540 just under a hundred bucks. I was pleased and surprised at how well the printer worked. The text prints was perfect, crisp and clear. When I picked up the printer the salesman asked if I wanted to purchase more ink. I instantly said “NO” thinking the kid was just trying to 'upsell' me. I figured with the ink which came with the machine I shoul be fine for a couple of weeks, at least and then I could get an ink cartridge. If I needed. The kid tried to tell me that the printer manufactures were now including “sampler cartridges” just enough ink to allow the consumer to get the product and see that their new investment was working properly. The the little twerp was right.

Actually, I cannot remember all of what was happening in the house, I think Dianne got her first or something which suddenly allowed her to loose interest in printing at the rate she had been. So the pressure was off the computer. I even had purchased the extra cartridges, I believe the next week. But did not install the cartridges, put them away and lost them. They are here somewhere but I have not found them yet. In the meantime I picked up a 3-1 printer( another HP—I know, I know) which I have not installed even yet. I did purchase the ink back-ups with the 3-1 and I am sure I'll be happy when I finally get that system up and running.

We needed some printer to be working so I resumed my focus on the 5440.

Dianne actually picked up a couple of cartridges and installed them into the printer but as to this date I have not got the color cartridge to work. I am getting this branding issue which makes each image I print come out with stripes making uniform bands across the image. When a image is printed vertically the bands make any people in the image appear as turn of the century convicts.

I actually like this little printer-the machine sucks at images but prints text all day like its going out of style. I guess I'll continue to work on the printer and home that I can do something which will the printer reach it's full potential. Maybe the fix is something as simple as replacing the ink cartridge or maybe Dianne forgot to remove the tape over the printer heads. I know I have done that in the past. I'll keep working on the machine and hoping that I will get it to work. I am just like that. Sigh

No comments: