Thursday, June 21, 2007

Safety Inspections and White Shirts


I hate cars/vans what ever. Cars and \vans are just money pits it is as simple as that. My safety inspects comes due the end of every June. I have been pretty lucky the past couple of years in that the inspection cost me just cost of the inspection, the vehicle past. I of course, am speaking of my full sized van. But this year that nearly free ride has come to end.

My cousin runs a little four man shop in Murray not far from my house. My cousin is a good guy and I have done automotive business with Scott for the last ten years. I like him, he does good work he doe not gouge me and his shop is on the way home for work. I feel comfortable with him. I got to Scott because it just makes sense.

I had my van dropped off early this week to get the Safety Inspection done and out of the way before the end of the month and also to be sure the vehicle was road worthy for the upcoming trip to Boise the first week in July. So I knew as early as yesterday afternoon there was a problem,: the front end ball joint connectors or something of other and the job would cost me at least $800.00!! Whoa!! That is a lot of tacos for someone who barely even runs the vehicle. That is a lot of empanadas for someone who dutifully used public transit five to seven days a week and usually two times a day. I have had the week to deal with the financial assault but when I called a few minutes ago Scott slipped me a sucker punch the brake linings were cracked , “So, I went ahead and fixed them too.” I did not even know the brake lining could crack. So I am positive that cracked brake lines will add at least $100.00 to the total. I will surprised if I get out of my cousin’s shop for under $1000.00!!

All week long since I got the first bad news I have been doing mental calculations in between phone calls, looking and rechecking my online banking to make sure I have enough resources to handle “buying” my van back after work. I figure I can put half of the bill on good old VISA and rape my saving account for the rest. I justified the whole thing as “it had to be done” didn’t it? What if I let the inspection expire along with the plates and live life with out an accessible wheelchair van? Public transit and when I Dianne and I went somewhere I would have to go in my manual wheelchair until such time we had the resources that we could run two vehicles responsibly. Boy, that would really take some big kahunas.

Well, that ain’t going to happen right now.










Brooks is leaving next week for Washington and tonight is a going away dinner for the lad. We’re going out to Red Lobster as a send off. Like an idiot I wore a white shirt this morning. I have to keep this shirt presentable till dinner time tonight at least. So far so good.

No comments: