Monday, February 27, 2023

Macon Bacon



I don't remember if I ever shared with you all the confusion I had growing up in my LDS home. We practiced the bizarre twist on part of that religion that was the consumption of pork products. I'm not sure where my dad his information but growing up we were never allowed to have pork products and will will I guess the exception of spam. I guess spam source the radar with my dad. And is able to check my desires when mom would thrive spam on Saturday mornings I would pretend it was bacon. If this idea and concept was correct across the board that would be one thing but imagine my confusion on any given church sponsored function whether it was the Christmas dinner, any number of Ward budget dinners, father and son outings communal breakfasts where they would have piles of bacon and ham if this were the case for all the war in church functions we attended Why could we not have pork at home especially bacon. I never got an answer directly from my father regarding our dietary habits but I suspect it was something to do by.converting to something in the church doctrine related to the Old Testament. My dad mellowed out as he got older. I think my mother also put pressure on my dad to eat the dirty meat.


These thoughts were heavy on my mind as I decided to cook a block of bacon I've had the freezer for a couple of months. It was in the “throwaway section” for $1. It was a couple pounds of that thick cut bacon I sensed a real deal and I still think it was a real deal. In my effort to be more timely in the food that I purchase and consume I am trying to get all the old stuff out of my freezer so I can put new stuff in the Freezer that does not have freezer burn and way out of date. I was a little concerned with the Bacon thawed out. The plastic covering around the meat was loose meeting the vacuum seal had been broken somewhere that's okay I plan to cook the holding up one shot anyway. I was relieved when the bacon began to sizzle that it was not accompanied with that sickly sweet smell of mmeat that's gone around the corner. It took a while to cook the meat I purposely cook and eat a low temperature it took 3 frying pans laden with strips of bacon to get the process complete when it came out okay. My house smells like my best friends did it every Saturday morning when we stopped over. Of course they were Roman CatholicAnd as far as I was concerned could do just anything and everything and not have to worry about and it's anything else for doing so. I mean I'm just writing about products tonight I have even gotten into the whole concept of fish we could eat at the house they had to have tails, gills not be scavengers of the deep. I'm sure lived on the coast in a Mormon ward we would've had shrimp fries, lobster Fest in all matters of opportunities to enjoy flash from the…


No comments: