Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Sad Wednesday

 


Another cold day, cold enough to keep me inside anyway. It's Wednesday so it's one of my home health days and glory just does a great job of cleaning up the kitchen while I'm on the toilet. She gets things cleaned up so well that I hate doing anything to mess it up when I start cooking well clean kitchen just goes out the window. Luckily I have enough stuff in the refrigerator to keep me from having to mess anything up cooking-wise. I have tons of Frank left over from the other day plus the last 2 chicken thighs I could last week plus tamales and frozen burritos and I could go on. Probably have too much in the refrigerator and and try not to eat more than I should but certainly nice to feel comfortable enough to not have to cook. Thank goodness I have a microwave like a probably survive for weeks with what I've got prepared. I've got a crown of broccoli in the refrigerator that I really should use quickly before it starts developing those yellow colorations on the florettes. I want to make some garbroc Soon but that would entail a lot of chopping wood should probably just blow up the kitchen but we'll see broccoli is a horrible thing to lose.


Last Saturday got a strange email from a friend of mine Billie who lives across the hall from me. We've been pretty good friends ever since she moved in about 2 years ago. She had been out I know to the hospital for a couple of days. I thought she was just dehydrated I knew that given her fluids but I got the email that she had returned. She seemed quite frail from her emails so I decided I would Standby in case you needed me but not necessarily visit her because I know that she was quite tired. Been quiet for the last week, worrisome. I did hear noises inside the door every once in a while an odd pass going to my apartment so I knew that she was still alive. I have a friend upstairs who usually joins us for coffee on Saturday mornings but has kept a very active role in keeping tabs on Billie. I got a text I believe yesterday that Billie was now in hospice and that they were waiting just waiting for the end.


Silly me, I thought that Billie was at an actual hospital typesetting called hospice and what I found out this evening was that hospice was here, at her apartment. I got a knock on the door late afternoon or early evening it was her granddaughter, Kimberly informing me that Billie and asked for my presence. It was at that time the young lady and her dad Billie's son informed me that she was not doing well and was on hospice in her apartment. I went into Billie's room there she was all crumpled up in bed. I don't know or should know me I was informed that she was on morphine and probably wasn't very aware of much at all, but she was in no pain. I visited with her as much as I could it was a pretty one-sided discussion. When she was verbal she thought I was somebody else in another place in another time. I will miss Billie when she passes she's been a good friend. Hospice says she may have a few days or maybe a few weeks it's hard to say it's just hard to say goodbye…

No comments: