Monday, February 06, 2023

Technical Frustration

 


It's a little thing, I would call it a pet peeve actually, the just wears me out every time I see it. A couple weeks ago one of those things flashed up on my screen is is doing something on the Internet I can't remember what. But it was something that said something like “in your neighborhood”. It was very upfront as these things are. Interesting little piece of software that once you enroll in the program shows you, on a regular basis, inquiries from individuals around your address i.e. neighborhood. I guess it's kind of a folksy thing and people who like that kind of stuff I'm certain love this piece of software but to me it gets a little overwhelming to see every time I open my email to see a bunch of notifications from people around my neighborhood. I guess in trying to keep my email is uncluttered as possible in these little scalawags keep tricking me into letting them in to my little world.


Yesterday and had about enough and I actually took time out of my day to try to find the “unsubscribe” button. There is usually such a device somewhere on the front page of the document you receiving. Is often written in small small letters in some corner of the page. Theoretically you can click that and that will take your name off the list of addresses the bot sends to on a daily if not hourly basis. Well I found the unsubscribe button I clicked on to it and after a bunch of frustrating questions about do I really want to unsubscribe or not. I finally was rewarded with the message indicating that I had successfully unsubscribed from that address. It didn't give me any notification that it may take a couple days are what For the process to activate. I was frustrated this afternoon when I opened up my email to find a bunch more notifications from individuals around my neighborhood one you know everything from did someone hear gunshots last night, a car crash around 3 AM in the morning, see a lost dog or kitten and on and on. Went to the process again found the unsubscribe button pushed on it and got the same notification that will assure that I wanted to make this move, I was and then I was assured again that I have successfully unsubscribed. We'll see tomorrow if I have been taken off the listings. I'll bet that I haven't. The other technical frustration I had to deal with today was contacting expert Eddie and trying to get my cable channels reinstated to my computer. I don't know what happened but a couple of weeks ago for some reason I can no longer access the cable offerings on my Comcast. This really didn't bother me much because I pretty much live on the Internet and the only time really do watch cable is to watch local news and weather and the tie into the national news at 5:30 PM. This hasn't been a big deal so I been sort of slowing trying to get it fixed but today I wanted to do so. I knew was going to be horrendous I should be given more time to the project but I had about an hour before my afternoon show started at 3 o'clock so I placed the call and of course I got some nice little girl in Asia seem to work real hard but to no avail. They wanted me to do all kinds of things to my computer and black box or whatever but I can't do because I don't have the hand function are the ability to get close enough to those items to produce that kind of labor. I finally had to click off to get to my arm bike and radio show for my daily work out. I'll try again tomorrow when I can dedicate more of a whole hour/day to the project doesn't seem fair but that's the job anymore

No comments: