Friday, May 26, 2023

Lunch In The Park

 


I had lunch today at the good friend Duane. A written about Duane over the years and this blog often on. I think I've even recounted how I met him when I was working a independent living and he is with the state of Utah division of rehabilitation and IL division. I purposely got to know him so I'd have a in on the inside that maybe I could glean information from him which might assist me in and that independent living center achieve our goals space of being free of all agency protect programs that tried to control the independent living movement for people with disabilities. Well my plan, backfired and we became friends that's why can never be a spy. I end up liking the people I'm supposed to infiltrate and I lose my ability to be effective. It's just much easier to be a friend and Duane is a good friend space probably better than I deserve.


We been striving to have this lunch for now now how long. We tend to have it in the park here across this sidewalk from the apartments. I don't know quite why Duane doesn't want to go to restaurants but we don't that's okay with me. After all the whole point of the lunch is to spend time together not necessarily spend time in a eating facility. Today I just rattle on about an encounter I had with one of the residents here at the apartment complex. An 80+ senior European is also are being Republican Trumper. I've quite proud of myself in that I've basically sidestepped any political conversations of this person. They're just totally unproductive and you end up just yelling at each other or trying to hurt each other by the words that your throwing around verbal knives reflecting your feelings and actually trying to kill the political discussion the other person is trying to perpetrate on you. I don't know it was because we are in the context of the coffee group or what but suddenly this neutralized American German was beginning to weasel the conversation into some sort of Trump being better than Biden discussion. Actually the discussion got started when we were lightly talking about the debt limit or ceiling and that's when she started speaking in the praises for Trump and I started being combated. In my defense I tried this step away as best like and try to keeping control. Sometimes it's hard for me to ascertain how much these individuals hear what I'm saying hardly understand what I'm saying. I think at some point rather than try to make a logical discussion I was just trying to hurt this person which is an excusable of me. I'm just glad I was able to harness myself before I flat-out called her at Nazi not necessarily because of her following of the late president but because of her German heritage which is way too cruel of thing for me to do. I missed it by just a hair's width. My friend, of course, reinforced the good part of what I was trying to do but also totally supported the feelings I was having of frustration and fears of the upcoming election. We had a pretty good lunch, I had the vegetarian sandwich is always much better than I anticipated. Was quite proud of myself for having a meatless lunch…

2 comments:

Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.