Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Changes At Coffee

 


Remember couple weeks ago when Irene, 91-year-old iconic resident decided she was no longer going to assist with your morning coffee group. She just figured she was getting too tired. This raiseda bit of a quandary as to how the coffee group was to continue even though I was supposedly in charge of the event. Well we passed that phase and in the end Irene came back. It just seemed Irene needed a rest and shock that world goes on even without you. Sadly, I must repor that over the weekend Irene fell and broke her hip! So it appears I am on my own again. Irene has had one operation and I understand she will need another plus rehabilitation. Even if the good old girl makes it through these events I don't think she will be coming back to the coffee social.


The only reason I bring this up is that Irene love to keep a spotless kitchen. Everything needs to be in place and that place has doors that can be locked so there are cupboards all over the kitchen with tiny little locks. Not only are these cupboards fairly high and out of reach that I don't have access to the key. Luckily, there is a master key that Jennifer building manager has access to. Now I just have to find someone tomorrow morning to unlock the cupboards and bring down the coffee makers as well as the containers of coffee caffeinated and decaffeinated. I will also need, maybe, assistance in arranging the tables. I think I can do this on my own using my power chair as a bulldozer. Hopefully, life goes on. When I shared these challenges with Jennifer she was very supportive indicating that between both of us will bring this project off. If we have to draft others into the project to assist we can do that too. I just hope the coffee group survives the transition. With some degree of guilt I have noticed the numbers in attendance drop the past couple weeks. I hope it's not my influence but it would not surprise me if were. I hate to admit it but I sort of have that touch of death on projects I become affiliated with. I hope this is not the case so with that in mind I zipped across the street to the dollar store and got 3 packages of cookies for tomorrow's event. I'm sure I have more than enough. I have not heard any complaints regarding the cookies and treats I have secured so far. Jennifer reassured me treats were not what is important it's the the safe platform for discussion and visitation.we don't really charge anything at these functions except everyone seems to kick in the dollar at these meetings. Jennifer has assured me that we have quite a stash of cash and if I wanted to do something more elaborate than just a dollar store cookies I could. I hope this is true and we continue together as a group on Thursday mornings honoring Irene and all the great coffee and services provided.…

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Go for real donuts, pastries!

Surely, your favorite grocery store might offer a good deal to a Senior Coffee Clatch?

Anonymous said...

These things go through cycles too. If you keep it up, attendance will pick up again eventually. Maybe make a flyer to put up somewhere.