Monday, October 07, 2024

My oh my I hate AI

 I caught an interesting story on NPR today about artificial intelligence in people writing, oddly enough something that I was talking about a couple weeks ago in the blog about how I felt defeated because AI is out there riding like nobody's business. So the gist of this particular article was that a special group has developed a program for adjudicating whether something is written by artificial intelligence or not. As near as I can tell people who write something can verify that it's actually written by a human versus an artificial intelligence. Of course I've just given you the simplified version but there's actually an organization to private nonprofit or something that has taken the lead in this particular scenario. Various writing Eggheads have sort of put it together and even putting down some kinds of what people can or can't do as far as what constitutes cheating as far as writing goes. For example one group says it's okay to get going or having the AI stimulate an idea for writing but not do the writing itself. Of course I'm kind of a purist I don't think that would be acceptable my version. Cuz it'd be a fine line of when does the idea actually turn to writing. But maybe I'm just a character in the movie that doesn't trust in love all things artificial. This kind of Spooks me cuz it really does label me as prejudice. I don't have a problem with it except for a little guilt but I'm sure other folks out there would have a big problem with the way I treat AI encounters. I mean we have them throughout the day there's no question in my mind about that whether it's stuff on the telephone or television or whatever AI is creeping in honest good bad or indifferent it just is.


It was interesting last week I was talking with Lori, who is a real writer, about the whole problem of getting going on a writing project. Lori was giving me all kinds of ideas of how to sneak up on an idea and write it, develop it and then prove it and rewrite it again over and over until it's done exactly the way that you want. I just don't have that kind of zeal for this kind of a project. I hate to do rewrites it's like pulling teeth are being grounded to your room on a Sunday afternoon when no summers at its peak it's wonderful to be outside. I would just assume leave and leave the written word very much like this posting. Actually thinking about this makes me think about why I have such a hard time shopping. I really need someone to go with me to help me pick out clothes even help me try them on and adjudicate how I look in them. So maybe if I had someone to egg me on make me write something, I didn't sit with me and reread the project making Corrections and boiling down the content until what was left was a pearl of great price. Oh, isn't that a wife?

No comments: