Friday, December 02, 2005

Cable Guyz



I wanted to go to movies today but then found out the cable guys were coming today. The cable guys are backed up more then two months so we figured if we wanted cable before Christmas and New Years we were going to have to do it today. That's cool though I have lots of time before the first of the year. Actually, we are switching cable providers. Dumping Comcast and going more local. This is a bit spooky computer wise but the cost for more service is significant.

The house is in a low a low state of chaos so Dianne has elected to take a huge bath till the operation is complete. Letting me take on the manly roll, showing and telling the guys where to drill an install. Dianne did not consider though this is a four hour operation. She is going to look like a prune when this is over. I hate being the manly guy when these kind of other guys are in the house and there is nowhere in the house I can escape to. We are doing the phones, both TVs and the main computer so the guys are all over, drilling, stretching cord and installing. The house has the doors open and the December air is rushing in freezing th snot out of me. I can barely type. So, you see, there is no escape just having to sit here with my “guyface” on looking tough and semi-confident like I know what I am doing. I just pray the guys don't ask anything like “Where is the 220 outlet” or “ we need another drill...where's your drill?” I never have the answer these guys need. I know when I have had to have my next door neighbor Al come over and of course Al does ask those very questions and I cannot immediately , if ever, lay my hands on a working flash light or a ¼ spat or even know where the fuse box is. Al just shakes his head in disappointment and walks back to his house where he has everything laid out in perfect order to get what he needs to come back and finish the work on the disaster.

It's now the middle of Friday afternoon and school is just letting out and all th neighborhood carpools are driving by looking at the house like it is a crime scene. The cable van is parked out front with all the doors open and ladders and cones out all over. Spools of cable and black plastic bags are all over the lawn like bodies after the shootout. Cable guys walking in and out the front door . I am invisible hunched over the laptop with my stocking cap on trying to conserve by body heat. Dianne has the jacuzzi rebbed up up to full throttle cooking away while I am up here freezing my shoes off. The furnace is just humming away pushing more heat out out the open garage. I am sure the gas meter is just spinning away recording every BTU for a glorious present to come in January's mail.

I am sure the guys are working as fast as they can and I keep telling myself this will not last for ever. It'll all be over by tis evening and I will be warmly watching the Food Channel. Just shut the damn door.!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I could have done better if I were able to.