Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Me and My Knife





I just got back from a scheduled meeting which was supposed to be in Farmington a small community about 15-20 Interstate minutes to the North. I dutifully left my office with more then enough time to make the meeting. I dutifully drove to where my email said the meeting was to be and no one was there. Actually, there was tons of people there the place as a county court house: attorneys, Sheriff types, and convicted felons and felons to be until proven innocent But no Meadowlarkmark types. The meetings location had been changed and I had not been notified, at least notified well enough.

I zoomed into the court house parking lot in my van ( I drove to day it’s the coldest day of this year). Parked and down loaded and zipped to the front door. I felt out of place by the amount of uniforms and suites and gangsta boys hanging. I always pack a backpack with everything I think I might need at any given time. A couple of days ago I bought this great xacto type knife to sharpen my square art (sketch) pencils. Looks great and works great for the pencils. I had forgotten I had slipped the knife into my wallet until I swung my backpack up to be examined. I drew the deputies attention to then knife which he immediately confiscated and at least gave me a laminated card which I could trade in for my knife when I left. The metal detector door way( like the kind in airports) was hilarious. My power chair made this security device sing like a canary. I think I may have had a rookie, I was on my way though the doorway for the third time when and older but wiser deputy pulled me a side and ran the “wand” over, front and back. I was so compliant I made myself sick. I mean I could have been sitting on twenty pounds of C-4 and wondered right into the facility and turned the whole place into the 5:00-0-clock news. I pulled over to the corner and started making calls on my cell like mad( cell phone that is). I then found the meeting had been actually changed to the city I had left from place. I was just happy to find the right place and they indicated they would save lunch for me. The deputy guarding the door had overheard my conversation and said he thought I was taking the whole event much better then he would have. I uses I was but I am just that kind of guy.

By the time I finally got to the correct building my chicken was cold as death, the rice and middle Eastern potatoes were pretty good all things considered and I was having to scarf my lunch while everyone else spoke to the issues. I really looked like a Third-worlder. I like my membership on this Board. The board meets every four months or so and the project director takes great pains to insure that we have a tasty hot lunch. The meetings are low key and the subject matter is interesting, work related and unique among other State programs. The Foundation is one of the few things I do during the week which doers or can make a difference in a person’s life.

No comments: