Friday, December 30, 2005

Movie Madness

Just got back from our holiday movie binge: Harry Potter, Family Stone and Rumors are. We enjoyed all moves and watched them back to back—what a way to kill an afternoon. We were even able to grab a lunch at Sargents the little restaurant close to the theater.

I think my favorite was Family Stone a bit of a “chick flick” but enjoyable—too predictable but a good romance to get lost in. I think of today's three the would I will get on DVD is 'Stone. I could really get off on the upper middle class home and life style. The house was great0-0I always imagine what life in those kids of places would be like. In fact, not too long ago when all my kids were small and I would go collect them on “Kid Day” that is something we would do is drive round the “rich” section” of town and just look at these homes and play an imaginary game of what life there would be like. “Kid Day” was Saturday. I would get my guys every Saturday so naturally the day became kid day. Divorce has a way of making everyone poor; especially non custodial dads. So many weekends it was get the guys, lunch at Mcdonalds or Taco Time, better yet, one of the places where they had free hot dogs and drink if you looked at` their furniture store. Then we were off to the “Avenues” where homes were built beautiful and to last. Brick homes, and fine wood multi-story homes with huge yards with attached garages bigger in the apartments we were living in. We would look at what at what must have been the dinning room and wonder what thanksgivings would be like, how big the turkeys would be. Would there be a separate room for the grownups to eat and another one just for the kids. What glorious Christmas' these houses must have, those were days of wonder for us. `When we are able to get together now we think back on those “Kid Days” fondly and the times we were able to spend together.
Forgive me, I have wondered a bit.

So, tomorrow it's my Mom's birthday celebration. We are doing a fast lunch at Chuckarama. Her favorite not necessarily mine. Today was the actually birthday and she went to the “Chuck” with her sister and brother-in-law. It's a forty-five minute drive and all conditional on the weather. My brother is going down as well as Dianne and me and maybe my daughter-in-law. It seems a little forced too short a visit for mom but as she says she is thankful for what she can get. At best bittersweet but the best we can do.

No comments: