Monday, October 01, 2007

I Hate Remodeling

I am in the middle of boxing my office as if for a move. I hate this kind of stuff! Chaos everywhere, resource material scooped up and sealed to a time when new carpet will be installed and the walls painted. Compared to some of the others in this office I don’t have a lot of stuff, the biggest of which are a couple of file cabinets and my Herman Miller stuff. The Herman Miller is hung from the walls and I think will be very labor intensive, removing the actual structures then removing the brackets and other hardware and what ever is needed to be done to paint the walls, rip the carpet then apply the new carpet and finally all the shelves, wall hanging works surfaces and file cases. I don’t even know if the worker guys are even getting to my office this week but we got the orders.


Since my job is 90 percent phone work I will be pulling the computers plug only when I see Juan and the others moving on my office. Once my system is gone I am basically sitting on my thumbs till the whole thing is complete. I guess I could schedule appointments, in-service trainings and what ever to do out of the office but it’s hard to do that without phone support. And that will be gone too.

The front office is now all packed and boxed and has been moved into our huge board room where everything, pretty much is being kept until the painting and carpeting is completer; Actually we have the empty office across the halls where we are also storing stuff as well. The office now has the “empty quality” where I hear echoes when I talk or listen to other conversations round the office. The space is very much like when we first moved in here five or six years ago. In fact, strange as it is I almost feel like if there was a place to move and the office could, this would be a great time to move. Staff was talking about new building the State was planning to build in the next couple of years; huge office building, cubicle plants. I hate cubical offices bhu6 I am beginning the rest of my office would love nothing better then to blended into a huge State office Cubicle office forest. I think the soonest that such blending might take place would be three to five years and maybe by that time I would be somewhere else. I think if I found our tomorrow that this office was moving to the department of social services building, or department of workforce services or ever Department of Education or USOR then I might have to look at early retirement. I mean there was even talk about one of the new offices going up at the State Capitol complex and maybe we could find a spot there when they’re finished. I am not saying I would not move but the space would have to be pretty spectacular for me to do so.


No comments: