Wednesday, October 03, 2007

New Shoes Again





New Shoes, again. Dianne has been on my case for the past couple of months, since my black slip-ons will not stay on my feet to get some new shoes. I drag my feet getting new shoes no pun intended for a number or reasons outlined in earlier posts on this blog (see November 14, 2005). The problem is mainly my fat feet, my weird little toe and my high arches. In a fit of desperation Dianne ordered a pair of shoes off of the INTERNET. She mentioned she as going to do this and I told her not to because I knew anything ordered off the INTERNET especially shoes would only end up being sent back, when the shoes arrived and would not fit. So I was totally surprised when I got home last night and there were a pair of black shoes sitting on the table. I was surprised- even if they look dumb. The shoes have the senior strap that lets you secure the shoe to your foot with out having to deal with those pesky laces. I thought Dianne had been to the D.I. and got lucky so I was doubly surprised when Dianne informed me the shoes were new and had been ordered from the Net. What astounded me most was the shoes actually fit! Now I have the difficult task of transitioning do the new shoes.

At fifty-six I guess I have accepted Velcro strap closure as a fact of life. I detest the look but I understand why they are used. The straps are quick and simple for people who have too tie up your shoes when you cannot.

I can tell already these shoe are going to be a challenge for me to use. I can just barely do up the right shoe. I think it took me twenty minutes or longer putting on my shoes and socks this morning and I really did not fasten the shoes as well as I would have liked but this will pass. I am sure I’ll trim the time and soon be out the door at my regular time. I may have to figure out a way to work the fastener better and quicker but I have “old guy” shoes for sure now. Next think I know I will in blue jump suits with a belt.

The chaos of the office make over continues. The carpet is down in the main areas, just a couple of offices and the work room remains—the vapors have dissipated enough to be bearable for me but I know other staff are having issues. It sounds the painting will begin next week. I don’t know if offices will be useable by then. The phone guy was here this morning and reluctantly moved a couple of phones so staff have access to communication in the back. I cannot see us, as a office, really functional for another two weeks at least with the work which still has to be done. Paint drying and the last of the carpet lying and the speed of the contractors and the main boss being gone I just cannot see us getting back to normal before Thanksgiving.

No comments: