Monday, July 06, 2009

I Can Do This!!

Not this Friday but next Friday Dianne is leaving for Louisiana for a wedding of one of her nieces and more importantly to spend some quality time with her family. Dianne only gets do see her family every couple of years or so and I know not being able to see her folks has been difficult on her. I will not be going with Dianne partially due to financial constraints but also physical. Homes are accessible, transportation and some fast traveling Dianne will be doing all round the Gulf Coast and the Carolin's.

I have only recently discovered that one of the reasons Dianne has put off traveling as much as she has is on account of me and my seemingly, declining ability of taking care of myself!! A couple of years ago I would have scoffed at such reasoning but of late I have to admit I have become somewhat concerned as I think of Dianne being gone for more then a week. And it’s not that Dianne provides my attendant care, if fact she provides very minimal attendant care. I am up in the morning way early, shower, shave and dressed and I am out the door most of the time without having to bother her at all. The point is I know that Dianne is there if I need her if I should slip and fall. It may take a while for her to respond but at least she will respond and be able to get me the attention I need to resolve any problem(s) I might be having. With Dianne leaving now, for at least a week maybe even longer I will be on my own…kinda, I have to admit I have been feeling kind of nervous and I never have had these feeling before.

But yesterday I decided, “you know what?” I am not going to let this challenge get me down or change my life style!! If something happens and I fall, I fall. If I fall I just get myself righted and take care of the problem True taking car of the problem will be a hassle but I am sure I will be up to what ever happens. The biggest issue since I doubt I would be able to actually lift or drag myself back into my chair I would have to get word out to son(s) or brother or cousins and worst case neighbors or emergency folk—I would be a little embarrassed but I would get bye, I always do. So in the next week or so I have to set up systems of communication incase something does happen, alert folks I need to and then just go with the flow. I am going to be OK.

No comments: