Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lost in the Words




I took off at 3:45 yesterday afternoon for my trip over to Magic Rest to get my left front castor repaired. I had the 4:30 appointment and I was getting away later then I had wanted due to a spike of last minute calls.

When I finally did get away I found the afternoon to be pleasant, not burdensome hot threatening to welt me down. The train was pulling into the station just as I reached the top of the mini-hi-block. I had a few blocks to travel once I got to 3300 South but was pleasantly surprised as I entered Magic Rest to find I still had five minutes before the appointment time. I spent the five minutes plus checking out the high ended, high performance chairs I doubt I will ever own. One chair I am beginning to covet more and more I see the chair. It’s the Permobile C500. When I was first exposed to the C500I blew it off as an expensive way to see a parade about 30,000 as near as I can tell. I am coveting this chair for the standing feature, not to see parades as must as a way to keep my pants up round my hips. I have noticed more and more my pants working themselves off of my hips during the day and I have to struggle to keep the pants pulled up. The trick is to somehow get the weight off my hips so that I might pull my pants up. I am imaging with the Permobile Stander I should be able to due this maneuver no sweat! To years ago would have laughed at the thought of investing $30,000+ for a convenient way to keep dressed but now in a mad grab at independence I would do it. I ( or I would have my insurance provider) lay down $30,000.+ just piece of equipment.

Checking back into reality, I doubt I will be getting a Permobile C500 soon—even if my insurance would consider such a purchase it would not be for another 4 years since I just purchased the Quantum I am currently using, and who knows who I’ll be by then? I haven been reading the stats on the chair as well and I am quite surprised to note that the chair’s motors seem quite small barely able to reach 7 MPH—which for me is way too slow.

Sorry I got a bit carried away on hopes and dreams. After a couple of slow starts my technician found a wheel in the back of the shop which would fit my chair. I transferred out of my chair into a huge recliner/stander chair which is another post all by itself, and took my chair back to the shop and made the change.

The heel of my foot often gets in the way of the castor and I guess actually stops the wheel from turning and the tech informed me that on these 100 degree plus days that if my heel did infact stop the castor from spinning and cause the wheel to drag even 10 or twenty feet it could be enough to sheer off a side of the wheel and cause the thumping. Price of new wheel: $35.00, cost of one half hours labor: $30.00 Lack of thumping: priceless!

No comments: