Friday, August 10, 2012

Only Better



I am now finishing up my fifth week at the out station work project 211 and it all seems to be going very well. I have been welcomed and I feel fairly assimilated into the 211 bunch . I am no longer monitored on the phones and I am taking calls fast and furious just like the other ops and I feel like I fit in. What has been extremely interesting to me is how little patience and out right anger I am feeling toward some callers, class of callers. I feel I have felt these frustrations before but never with the fury I sometimes feel when I am yelled at or just hung up on, and I don’t know I have been disconnected until I ask a question and realize that I am speaking into dead air.


I am really amazed at how rude the general population has become. Many times, if the information we give is not what they want or meets with their preconceived idea of information the callers often become profane and somewhat explosive living me with my mouth open just staring at the phone in disbelief when the enraged caller slams the receiver down on their phone. Sorry, I digress, this was not meant to be a rant on rabid callers. That post I will keep for another day.

What I feel is the coolest thing about my new workstation is that we share a building with the FBI –which I think is pretty weird in there is huge Federal building just down the block from here but the FBI actually leases the five or seven floors in this building. I did not see any FBI folk at first but as I have settled into a rhythm, arriving early in the morning and leaving at 4:30 I am beginning to notice more and more people with the little ID badge with an American flag background :FBI. They stick pretty much to them selves but I have seen personal a couple of time. So I was intrigues the other day when I arrived at work and noted a sign directing public to an FBI job fair. I have to say the FBI was looking for a few good folk. There were good sized posters I the foyer, in the elevator and even in the bathrooms they wanted linguists fluent in English and languages the FBI are interested. On this day the feds seemed to be everywhere and they looked just like the res of us only better…

No comments: