Thursday, August 09, 2012

Two Movie Tickets and a Gun please

It was hot last night when I trained home from work and even though I got the early train when I got to my spot I realized I was still going to have to wait an extended period of time, in the sun for my bus the Southbound 201 to come. There is a bus shelter which throws a good shadow make for at least a little shade and I often sit in this shade and read or play on my tablet. This is what I was doing last night when this old guy, even older the me came up and mentioned that I was taking up all of the shade. I could not tell if he was joking or not so I played the courtesy and happily moved over. This was dressed nice in bermudas, a white shirt and a straw hat. He had great white hair, from what I could see, and he reminded me of the elderly music teacher who lives in my neighborhood.


So there we were standing and sitting in a little shade waiting for the bus—I noticed three different route come into to stop and leave leaving me to think that he was waiting for the same coach as me the 201. So when the last 200 pulled in and then pulled out I asked the old guy was he waiting for the 201?

The old guy kinda growled back at me that he was waiting for Grandma which sounded like “gramma”. It took me a minute to figure out what he had said. He then clarified the statement by saying his wife “grandma” had sent him out to store to pick up a hand gun. Yes, a hand gun! He was out pick up a hand gun, like as loaf of bread, pound of butter or a dozen eggs. He had been all round the Murray area and no one would sell him a weapon. I finally asked him why he was getting a gun and he methodically explained that he and his wife liked going to movies and to church so of course they would need some protection. So, here was waiting in the scorching sun, waiting for Gramma who had already sent him out on a fools errand then forgot to pick him up and who knows what now was going to happen when Gramma shows up and gramps is hot, frustrated and empty handed.

I am sure this senior is responding the events and tragedies which have swamped the national news of late. This couple cannot even find them selves on a hot summer’s day let alone a fire arm and I do not even want to think of where their terror level might be. But, 201, rolled in about then and all I wanted to do is escape the heat and the wrath of the gun questing senior.

No comments: