Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Lost Wallet


I did it again! I cannot believe it this last weekend we were getting ready to go out to do something, I cannot remember exactly what but I was gearing up to head out and for one reason or another I went to check my wallet and it was not there! I then began the search of myself my backpack in my power chair. I have a small pack on the side of my power chair which have actually been keeping my wallet in the last couple days. I immediately was not concerned I felt sure the wallet was somewhere either in the house are in my backpack. The last place had remember for sure that I had the wallet was at the coffee shop Starbucks when I paid for my latte. I even stopped in at Starbucks and asked the question “Has anyone turned in a wallet?” Of course nobody had. At my earliest convenience I found a space and began to systematically go through my backpack looking in each pocket were conceivably I could've stuffed my wallet in a moment of haste. I hoped beyond hope that my wallet was safely nestled beneath the battery charger that I carry in the large pocket of my backpack but alas it was not there either.

For some reason I I was not all that concerned… I knew I had little cash to speak of mainly transit money i.e. dollar bills and quarters so was a very much. Of course there's always the credit card/debit card and for some reason that didn't bother me either. We diligently begin checking online to see if any outrageous charges had been made to my card accounts but there'd been no actions there to speak of so that was good which again led me to believe the wallet was somewhere in the van our in house. We did some quick one overs of the house… No wallet we did scour the van… No wallet and then out of the blue Dianne was checking messages for messages and there it was a call letter indicating he had found my wallet that we need to set up some sort of meeting to where we could get the wallet back to me.

I don't know why but I felt weird about the caller. I called the phone number he left and the person I got was not the person who made the phone call I had to get a hold of him at another time which was okay with me. I called another time a day later and there was just silence and then upbeat to leave a message which I did. I don't know why but I was getting spooked thinking that maybe the caller was going to try extort some money in order to get the wallet back. I had no reason to justify this just felt weird. Then I called again and got a hold of the guy but he could not talk very long he said something about minutes. Dianne suggested that he was probably poor and had to watch his cell minutes that made sense I guess. I had already decided if there is any attempted extortion I would just leave the situation immediately, cancel my cards just the tech $20 could buy and start over again as well as try press charges if extortion entered the question. However, that never happened I was just being silly.

We finally made contact and the holder of the wallet said could be a memory area and we could meet somewhere and make the trade-off. That never happened I don't know why but he said he couldn't make it and could I meet him overall his area which is way over on the west side. So Dianne and I at this point were extremely anxious to get the wallet back. So we decide to meet at a fast food place close to his apartment. The guy was just a kid and a nice kid at that. I was surprised. We had already decided to offer/give him 20 bucks for his honesty. He was not going to take the money we literally had to thrust the money at him and I will stick it in his pocket but finally he relented and took the money. We seem to shy and nice guy. I'm so lucky he is the one found my wallet. Next time I may not be so lucky. I have to make a better plan.



No comments: