Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Low Tech But Effective


This is probably going to be a short one but I want to get something up on the blog just the same. Few weeks ago I was at one of my meetings, A T for assistive technology Council, I've been part of this counsel for over 20 years and I really believe in the whole concept of assistive technology. I hadn't attended the meetings last couple years as I finished my work life and I was on loan to 211 with United Way. I was glad to get back on the A T councils mailing list. One of the people on the council is a PR person from Utah State University. She works with all forms of media and tries to increase the amount of assistive technology the community is aware of any given time. She knew that I had done a number of interviews which I put up on the Internet as podcasts couple years ago. She did not know that I had also made a couple of videos describing different aspects of low-tech assistive technology. She said she would be interested in seeing these videos. So I've been digging around my old video files and actually found one or two that might be entertaining if nothing else.

Over the years I believe I have indicated that I make sticks, and I won't go into the whole thing regarding the history, resource procurement and all of that which I believe is in one of the 1600 blogs I've done up to this point. But this video is not only important from the aspect of low technology but am proud of myself for having laid down caption space at the bottom of the video. This really took some time specifically to type the dialogue and basically match it up with the video. It took a week or so but it turned out fairly decent. It's a shame we never really did anything with it. I really think we could've and I really would've like to have made more videos. I really enjoyed the process and the ability to make a document that might actually have some value to somebody somewhere. More than one person has encouraged me to possibly do something like this in my glorious retirement.


I actually have another video just called just Bunji I know it's spelled wrong and I will change that when I make her do some work on the video. Currently the video is in a format that would be hard if not impossible to put up on this blog are Facebook so I'm going to have to do some reformatting on that video… That should be fun if I can get the time to do it. I love having to find time to do stuff I was having such a struggle just out of retirement trying to find things to keep me busy which does that seem to be the case now. If this goes over fairly well from the blog standpoint, perhaps I will post more videos in the future. I really haven't posted many videos just because it seems so gauche particularly if the videos are of me… Seems like I've gotten past that wink wink.

No comments: