Friday, October 17, 2014

Lunch With Jerry




I was pleased earlier this week when I tweaked a friend of mine about having lunch and he responded immediately with the date which was yesterday downtown Salt Lake. I am so pleased with the current weather we are experiencing along the Wasatch front. Here enjoying cool but dry days sometimes cuneiform is 70+ degrees, perfect days for “tarmacking”. Tarmacking is writing the local public transit system all over that transit systems service area.

We had contacted each other over Facebook (a fact I immediately forgot… Senior moment) and agreed to have our meeting at our local Asian food place downtown Salt Lake. This is a great place for me since the restaurant directly across the from a downtown TraX platform make it super easy to get there for me. When my friend was working I believe it was equally easy for him since he was employed by a a major Utah newspaper housed downtown Salt Lake City. Now that he's retired himself with a little more difficult but he was more than eager to have the meeting. I spent the morning trying to confirm with myself the time but could not find an email because there was none. I vaguely remembered 12 noon be in the target time so I made sure I was downtown by 11:30 AM sitting in front of the Cindy Lee restaurant.

I was surprised how cool it was in the “Canyon” downtown Salt Lake. I'd wished after I got off the train I attacked my hoodie with me. However I did find some patches of sunlight by the restaurant and found a Wi-Fi with enough power to use my voice to text feature on my tablet. I was just getting in to posting an image to my Facebook account when Jerry showed up. Jerry looked great I thought in jeans and a baseball cap. We shook hands and went directly into the restaurant. Cindy Lee's has morphed itself numerous times over the years we have used the little restaurant as a meeting place. However I noted with some dispersion the last morph. The quantity size has greatly been reduced for their lunch. However as justification sense I was there to spend time Jerry. We merely got to talking I think to the chagrin of our waitress was very no-nonsense and wanted us to order. Which we did when she came back with our water.


When my great frustrations is that you can only visit so much within a hour or so that usually takes up a lunch meeting. I wish we were closer which we met more often selected understand Jeri thought processes better. My friend is so smart and worldly and somewhat intimidated when we speak. I'm so grateful and lucky that he treats me as an equal but I don't feel that way. I feel like he's one of the big kids and I'm just little kids. Jerry's traveling now going this place and that… He does things like go to spring training of his baseball team, or take a week and go down to the Shakespeare Festival in St. George are breeze out over the weekend to Grand Junction Colorado to attend a concert of the 60s folk singer and hopefully to get that folksinger to sign an album cover of an old vinyl album Jerry still has. These things are cool I could never pull something like that off I would even know how even if I had those resources or the resources to do this. I admire Jerry because he is so full of life even now even being older than I, I'm still focused on the late-night terrors I suffer every month or so. He's not afraid of dying cities go live until he does got appreciate that. Jerry had an idea, he would think up captions for cartoons that I would draw. He saw a couple pieces of my work a year or so ago and has not let it go. He is always seeing great talent in me and I appreciate that. So I've been sending email reminders see if he comes across to listen captions and then out torture myself into trying to deliver such a rendition that will do his caption good. Either way it's fun to have a project is funded work with Jerry for however long is the time we have together.

No comments: