Monday, March 09, 2015

Back To Rehab

.

I cannot believe how busy I have been this Monday and that's inclusive of the fact that I'm no longer getting in the house our home rehabilitation. Friday was my last in the home rehab session. However day after tomorrow on Wednesday I'm scheduled to show up at the sugarhouse clinic where I can start my outpatient rehab program which are be about regularly 2 o'clock I hope. That is a time I could make pretty well using the transit and my power wheelchair. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed in hopes that this chair holds out until whatever new device I might be getting decides to show up. So this means I am still spending a lot of time on the phone making contact with those folks who are in control my life all because of my disability.

In this area of disability and focusing more and more on the fact that I'm spending roughly $50 a day private money my money on attendant care. This comes up to $1500 a month and I just don't know how I can maintain that an continue to live with a mortgage and anything else that we need to do. I am toying with the idea of trying to figure out a way to get back into the workforce to scam off a little bit of money that might help with this need for attendant care. There of course is the silver bullet are the cloud with the silver lining that with intense rehabilitation I can increase my strength particularly among left-hand side that was most affected by the stenosis and get back into being and more controlled by ADLs particularly toileting and showers. In fact I was sort of grousing about this this morning with my morning attendant and I mentioned the fact that I need to just do some writing and sell some writing which might help. He sort of perk up indicating that his girlfriend is editor for a local newspaper Salt Lake what's happening type newspaper. I have for many years wished that there is one type newspaper like this that actually did focus on things that needs challenges and issues facing people with mobility issues and other disabilities in the entire area. Everything from politics to transportation to attendant care to recreation all things disability. I think there really is enough disability to justify such a thing and just the main population of Utah add-on does this now that aging population that really does need everything from attendant care to assistive technology accessible housing to affordable and accessible transportation then you've got a sizable population that I think might benefit from such a column are stories and a local mainline vehicle like Salt Lake Weekly magazine even if it's just a listing of areas of entertainment that are wheelchair accessible are how to get around in the area in a wheelchair and again this is everything from landing at the airport, booking inaccessible cab in finding an accessible hotel room. I mean I don't think I would be able to write enough to cover all my attendant care needs but maybe some what help you never know. This is a pipe dream I know my buddy Frank and my buddy Jerry both who I feel have major credibility have indicated I could be successful in these areas if I just did it.


I was going to write a segment or a blog today about my buddy Jerry who was in Arizona for the spring training of the professional baseball leagues. Did a search and found I had written blogs similar to this a couple of times so, I felt I didn't need to write another however, I was yet impressed with how much I have written how I think a lot of it might be worthwhile. Maybe gold staring me in the face and I just have to reach out and grab it.

No comments: