Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Hospital Confinement



It's snowing, it's been snowing all morning and I suppose that's good and needed a bit of moisture was good be the desert for the next couple years will feel like a godsend for this country. I really think it's going to get and it's going keep dry for a long time. If we survive it's going to be how we maintain and monitor our moisture supplies that sounds really boring so let me wander away to another tangent.

One of the things I found most interesting during my recent stay at University Hospital was actually staying the University hospital. I was there for about three weeks and it was so weird to wake up during the night over and over again( since they would wake you up for me every two hours or so)And not know where I was at. I always sleep on my side and doing so I face the outside window which actually was quite lit up with the side of the hospital And in view of all the rooms of the hospital my room opened up to. I would hear the people in the hall the nurses, orderlies and docs I guess wandering about. It always took two or three minutes for the reality that I was in the hospital to sink in. Then I had to figure out how I got there what was I doing in the hospital again? What happened? Finally at some point towards morning my nurses and other staff would begin wandering in and I would then fall back in the reality. I was at University Hospital, I wasn't quite sure with their board to do to me are what they were doing to me are where I was headed except for My day was starting I better get ready.

Now that I'm home in a room all by myself with a hospital bedI still get a little disjointed at waking up and wondering how my day is going to go. I'm soon going to be phasing out of home rehab where people actually come to the house give me physical therapy and other medical attention. Think this is good I will be motivated to get back on the road and work at strengthening myself trying to get to a more independent status. I've enjoyed my home physical therapist he's a bit awkward and I think a bit maybe lazy but is okay because give me some good pointers is not been afraid to try stuff. I'm currently sitting in a manual chair which he has suggested that I do as much as I canIn an effort to strengthen my body and get it used to standing not so much as it can. This is very challenging for me. I really do like my power chair I like everywhere that takes me. But truth be said I can't do very much in the house with the power chair so the manual chair really is good for getting around washing dishes doing some of the fine points of being in the house. I'm a little excited about starting outpatient rehab in hopes the physical attention will greatly strengthen my left side. I've been looking at some of my nude pictures where I have my left arm flexed and I really want to get some more taken to see the difference.. This of course may be dicey but what can I say it is the best way to see if I'm actually doing any progress.


So kind of personal goal I've given myself is to figure out a way to get from my manual chair back to the power chair somehow during the day. I don't know if this is possible I don't know how long this will take me to learn to do again it's possible of all I don't see why can't do it I did it once before and that's been my mantra through this whole ordeal: I've done this once before.

No comments: