Monday, October 05, 2015

The Incredible Shrinking Man



Last night when I went to bed Dianne noticed that I had to small skin breakdowns on my butt this is kind of terrifying to me. Decubitus ulcers are pressure sores are some of the worst things people spinal cord injuries have to deal with. Over the years my skin has become more and more delicate and I must be very careful when I do get these skin breakdowns. These breakdowns I'm convinced are directly related to my power chair being out of commission having to use my backup chair. I love having this backup chair and the ability this chair just me to be independent And carry on my life. However, the chair is too big for me and I do not have the appropriate cushions for this chair which therefore leads to a rocking back and forth when I drive the chair which wears through my skin. Dianne has crafted a synthetic skin Which works pretty good but still I have to be careful when I am up in my chair. Therefore my activities on the outside have come to a grinding halt. This used to drive me crazy but now think, I am beginning to accept the fact that I'm not as “not as out there” as I would like to be or even as I perceive myself to be in effect I am becoming invisible. Like Frodo with his ring I feel I am becoming more and more invisible each day and somewhere deep inside I am okay with that. Last week I only went to one of my Wellness programs meaning two days I did not work out lifting heavy weights. I think I only used my Saratoga silver three days Because it was too painful sitting up on my sore butt.

I called the durable medical provider today, the company that I bought my power chair through, they indicate another week to seven days before parts arrive needed to repair my chair. This used to infuriate me but now it's like ho – hum... Okay. I'm spending my days tilting back in my chair trying to squish the squishy stuff in my cushion back under my hips for comfort and protection and this seems be working for the time being. I'm even considering with enough Amazon Prime selections on my cable staying bed all day And tell my repaired chair arrives or mighty pressure sores heal. Right now the breakdowns very small and I don't think would take much down time to heal and I'm willing to go that road if I have to.


But back to my main point regardless of the issues I'm becoming smaller and smaller and soon I will be invisible and perhaps that is not all bad. But maybe when I get my chair back and back in my regular cushion again maybe I'll get rejuvenated now be able to push back the desire to rub the ring and be less seen.

No comments: