Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I Love Them All

Tomato row and my one and only tomato



I get up in the morning usually around 630 or 7 AM. I think a start waking up around five 5:30 AM but I noticed by the time I get up getting close to 7 AM. I drag myself out of bed into my chair and go to the bathroom and do my morning and the page ADLs. I usually make the coffee the night before and all I have to do is push the button the coffee begins to drip them back to my room to dress. Once I am somewhat presentable I go out to the back take care my plants or what I affectionately call my garden.This year the garden was very meager. I started late but I noticed that ShopKo was selling off their garden tent. I thought I was only buying one plant and actually I got six all the little tomato starts came in a small egg carton type of container. I also got a couple squash but they did make it. And I a pleasantly surprised that nearly all the plants that are tomatoes made it, kind of.

As carefully as I was able, I transplanted my little tomatoes into their own individual pots. I thought the pots were pretty big and was pleased when the plants begin the root and thrive. For a number of years we have had bags of plant food specifically vegetable plant food so I figured I would actually feed my plants this year and I thought I would have a major outcome I would be pleased with. Every day I've gone to the back patio and checked on my plants. I watered the little guys twice a day and fed them once a week. They grew, they looked healthy and that even begin to sprout blossoms I was totally surprised and excited. I diligently got tomato racks (?) Or whatever the devices are called that reinforce the tomato plant. I began to worry however that blossoms would come out looking beautiful and yellow but nothing would happen. I couldn't figure out the problem. Then a couple weeks ago I noticed one small green or almost hidden by the leaves. It was my first tomato and sadly I only tomato. A little green tomato size my thumb. I've been pleased to see the thumb sized tomato grow! And still none of the other plants have any fruit. I consulted with Amy I friend from work who grows the greatest tomatoes of ever seen – – consistently. She told me I was probably feeding my tomatoes too much in that I needed to stop feeding the tomatoes make them think they are starving. Amy said that stressing the plants makes them produce so I started withholding food and looking over my shoulder as I knew there must be an organization which prosecutes those who are cruel to plants specially withholding food.


I've not yet been arrested and still I have only one tomato. I've gone back to feeding all the plants and even the onions. It doesn't matter now it's the sixth of September every morning I rise and the temperature is chillier and chillier. The frost is coming just weeks away I can feel it. I will support my tomato and the other plants – – the Barren plants because I love them all regardless of their potential and ability To throw off fruit. I think the problem was they are all root bound. I think the pots were too small. There's a guy down the street who actually built pretty large boxes in his driveway of his tomatoes are going like gangbusters – – – I think it's the pots. So I'll continue to get up, do my ADLs, get dressed, get breakfast then go out and water my plants and enjoy them until the frost hits and then enjoy my memories.

No comments: