Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Do Gooder... Not Me!!



I am not a do-gooder! I am not altruistic at least I do not believe I am altruistic not that there's anything wrong with being altruistic being altruistic is just not me. Having said that however I do care about folks in my life… Kinda. Remember my post from last week? I wrote about my little toenail which has been growing out of control and finally got nearly ripped off by putting on my shoe. I went upstairs and had my friend Steve the retired surgical nurse but a dressing on my total stop the pain and protect the little toe from any further trauma. Steve is actually in the apartment directly above my apartment. I like these apartments they really took care to insulate one unit from the other so I don't hear much which goes on above me or to the unit on my side. I really only know that Steve is there when I hear Steve flush his toilet. When Stephen flushes it sounds like a jet engine taking off.

I worry about this guy. He is very old, even older than I! Stephen is tall and lanky (is that redundant?) In fact he's a bit teetery. However, Stephen still holds a drivers license and he does have a vehicle. He drives though I've never seen this but I believe him. I've noticed lately when in his apartment Stephen tends to use a manual wheelchair for mobility just to be on the safe side. I can appreciate that. This weekend as I was going through my DVD collection I noticed I had duplicates of Jason Bourne movies, the Bourne Identity and the Bourne Supremacy. I don't know, I went through a period of time that if I didn't I cannot find a movie I would order another off Amazon or by happen to see a movie I like in the DVD discount barrel for less than five bucks I will buy the DVD on principle just to make sure I have access to the DVD should I need. I knew that one time Stephen had indicated you like political thrillers/spy type novels. I figured I can dump these off with Stephen make some space on my DVD shelf and end up looking like a good guy. (Call this altruistic if you like but clearly I was doing the giving for my own benefit) I was a little chagrined when Stephen indicated he only had both titles. Oh well, I tried.

When I did not hear the toilet flush or here Stephen scrabbling around upstairs I get worried. It's not that I live in constant fear that Stephen's going to kick the bucket but the guy is pretty old and seems pretty frail. I know the jokes going to be on me when I kick first. But while I was up there this afternoon talking of all things artificial intelligence, the Terminator series and the novel Stephen says he's “writing”. I broached the subject of getting a picture of Stephen and I together. I've had the strongest feeling the last couple of weeks that I need to do this or I'm going to be sorry. I was pleased Stephen had no objections to getting his picture taken with me. I also wanted to get an image of Steven's head. I want to try to draw it. Today I got the image.

I'm going to be sorry that I'm befriending this guy like I am. I really have not made a lot of friends around this place for the same reason I haven't gotten a pet in the last 10 years because every living thing dies and pets and old people are just waiting to break your heart.

No comments: