Friday, September 28, 2018

Throwing Stones



One of my favorite scriptures from the Bible is “he that is without sin let him cast the first stone” this is a fairly accurate quotation from John chapter 8 v 7. I like the verse because it captures everyone at one point or another in their lives. I had to reflect back on the Scripture yesterday and hold my tongue as I rolled into the library and saw Jason at the checkout counter going over his weekly cache of DVDs. Seeing Jason at the checkout counter was not a surprise what was was seen Kelli , his staff, Jason's DEAD standing right behind him! I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. Granted, I totally bought Jason's story last week but the at the same time seeing a very much alive Kelli did not really surprised me either. I was glad to see Kelli and commented on healthy appearance for a dead person. I told her what had happened and she pretty much laughed it off. I don't think she really believed me it was only after Rikki on the other office staff recounted the same story did Kellie begin to believe our stories. Kelli actually kind of supported Jason as the prankster he must be by reminding us that she had indicated two weeks before that she would not be at last week's reading. And then I remembered that was true.

I was kind of surprised that I was not more upset with Jason. Even if I have not been reminded that Kelli was not going to be at last week's meeting. Jason is kind of had a hard time integrating with this group and I am pleased with how well he seems to have taken to reading. I think Jason's reading increased reading ability has been one of the most pronounced of the groups.

Some 50 years ago I was an adolescent with a spinal cord injury, a new spinal cord injury, trying to live and integrate back into my community. It was bad enough being a teenager, a teenager without a job, a teenager who was quadriplegic living in a rural community. I did not have a way to earn money therefore any money that I did have I got from parents. It was during this era of my life that I came across the idea to send a letter to each of my siblings who were older than I of which they were four who I felt could send me some money. I fabricated a great story (easily seen through by my siblings) about having cancer. I wrote the letter as if my parents had written the letter asking that anything they could spare be sent to me directly. Of course, first thing that the older sisters did was contact the folks and the story. I think one sister sent the dollar to help me with my life as a fiction writer. Nothing really happens to me following this incident except that I was more than a little embarrassed of my charade. Really did make me kind of a jerk. But maybe that's what I thought about Jason. I don't know why Jason fabricated the story but he did and yes, the kind of makes him a jerk. But who am I to throw stones?

No comments: