Monday, April 01, 2019

Afternoon Stretching



There was a time a few years back where I was working out every day at the physical therapy department of the University of Utah outpatient PT program. Of course the program used to be at the University of Utah in the basement there but then was outsourced to the outpatient physical therapy program up at the Sugarhouse location. That facility is about 45 minutes away from my home there in Murray. I had to get myself from the house to the train station and then going down to the 21st South Station transfer the route 21 bus which you drop me off close to the facility. I would do my work out which was doing a hand bike five days a week and then doing us heavy workout three days a week in the lighter workout two days a week. This changed of course once I purchased my own arm bike, my Saratoga Silver. Once I had the arm bike I went to this workout station three days a week which I didn't tell my surgery which changed everything.

Now I'm on my own I thought about going back to the University of Utah program but to do so I would have to go through a referral and medical checkup essentially bringing me back into the University rehab program which I kind of bailed on when I started my neural surgeries with Intermountain medical Center IMC. Trouble is IMC does not really have an outpatient rehabilitation program. The physical therapy department keeps promising they're going to do one but nothing is happening as yet which is really a shock because they really do have a good is for therapy program sort of. Now I'm totally established with the medical center and nervous about going back to U of U. So I continue to work out every day with my arm bike and I began looking into other options. One of those options is a physical therapy program hosted by Salt Lake County Senior program, the program is coached by students from the University of Utah's physical education program. I'm sure it's some sort of class are training program for the students. It's aimed at seniors of course and sadly it's aimed at seniors who are ambulatory. The programs offered Mondays and Wednesdays at the senior center across the street from the apartment complex. It's at 5:15 Pmand to be honest since I made the decision to be part of that program I have forgotten a couple of days. I mean really 5 o'clock comes in the afternoon and I want to be home watching the news are cooking dinner or both I would just assume not be at the senior center trying to work out.

The 5:45 PM program is hosted/tot by three young students. They are athletic type students they do quite a good job actually. There's about six of us that tend to show up for the class I've got about three times now. Like I said the program is aimed at folks who are ambulatory and move their bodies. They usually start with the walk around the park area which is so ridiculous for me to walk with the group in my power chair but I do. They have a number of exercises done with the legs and stretching, balancing exercises, and strengthening type exercises. When the group is working on lower body exercises I disorder move my arms. When they do that upper body stretches neck stresses air pumps and such I kind of join in. Specially the extended arms roles. It's really a killer on the arms wears them out fast. I can do a camera right side of my left side is almost worthless. I think I get something out of this exercise program even is just because I socialization with the other folks in the program. Not that we talk or anything but we could I guess the fire to make the effort. We are cordial but they are cordial to me. The play 60s music during the workout session. I like the music but sometimes I think the kids are pandering to us. Sometimes I catch one of the three girls looking at me as I'm trying to work out and wondering “what is he doing here?”. I sort of agree sometimes but got myself into it if I stopped going to look pretty dumb plus now I'm a little vested in the group and they are probably a little vested in me. I don't know if that vesting is good or bad maybe I'm just the mascot. The prime example of what happens when you don't take care of yourself and do your exercises…

No comments: