Friday, April 05, 2019

Ticket To Ride


No photo description available.

I have a UTA fare card which is invaluable to me. I suppose I can afford to ride the bus if I did not have the fare card. Riding the bus would be expensive even with the disabled/Senior reduced fare that I enjoy. I would get a half-price ride with a option to ride in the forward direction (actually you could write any direction that you want) for two hours after you purchase your bus fare. However, because I do have my Utah transit Authority reduced fare card and ID I can just flash the card at one of the terminals which reads it and allows me to ride at no cost. What's even better is that the card did not cost me anything to begin with. I may have explained in another blog posting about how the Utah transit Authority wanted to get people with mobility disabilities off of their subscription service on the mainline service and they did this by giving folks who are eligible for subscription service the free bus pass. This is such a great deal. Like I said I could do my own way but this is just so much more convenient and less expensive.

Before I leave the apartment I usually really check my backpack to make sure I have backup catheters, kangaroo bag, sketch pens, writing pens, wallet remote gate opener and of course my bus pass. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday as I left the apartment in fact I remember seeing the cord that fastens the bus pass around my neck laying on the carpet next to my backpack when I was loading up my back pack on my lap to head out. When I finally got to the bus stop I realized I did not have my bus pass. This sucked, I suppose I should of just hunker down and realized that I was going to miss this bus and headed back to the apartment and fetched the bus pass laying on the floor. However I knew I had change one dollar bills and silver so I figured why not? In reality, I could just zoom past farebox since the driver always goes back to lift up the seat and get the tiedowns ready. He really doesn't pay attention whether I've swiped the card on the reader are not. In fact the drivers, many of which don't care really unless the feel like they want to pick on someone if you pay the fare not. Anyway I decided I would feel school and pay. The the fare for me is a $1.25. I cannot reach the farebox of course and even if I could my dollar bills kind a crumpled up and I doubt I'd be able to feed it into the machine so I threw the quarter up there which fell down into the farebox that made enough noise so the driver knew I was going to pay. He took the dollar bill laying on the box and fitted in the machine tore off a transfer and handed it to me. I love these transfers only recently have I finally figured them out. It's almost like they're in a secret code that only the bus drivers can read. Their cherished piece of paper and I'll for those of us who ride and I paid for the transfer out of our own pockets. It lets the driver know if we're in that golden to our. That we can ride.I bought the transfer of my right to bookclub on Thursday. When the club ended I still had 45 minutes to catch the bus for my ride wherever. I of course went straight home leaving about 25 minutes of time. You not supposed to but sometimes I can catch somebody getting on the bus and if I'm fast enough and slight enough I can hand them the bus transfer save them a fare. This is not the case Thursday evening coming home from bookclub but I felt good about it and maybe that's all it matters it's the thought that counts…

No comments: