Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Silly Me,What Meeting…?

 DRAC  office locked up tight!!!


I'm such a committed idiot! I do something if I Samba to do it at least I'll try the best that I can to make that commitment. As you know I I'm involved with our you could say that I volunteer with Disabled Rights Action Committee or DRAC. And once again if you type DRAC into that search section at the top of the blog page you should be able to get a fairly decent history of why I have volunteered for this organization over the 30 years or so I've been in Utah. DRAC is going through some reorganization right now and is taking a concerted effort of a number of the volunteers to meet and hopefully bring the organization through to its new reiteration. I have the time and the conviction so why not regardless of the weather.

Overnight the temperature dropped by at least 30° it seemed yesterday the temps were in the 70s and today it was the 40s the threat of snow and lots of wind as significant amount of rain. Cold day to be sure making the experience of traveling in a power chair on city streets riding public transit the challenge plus my butt hurts. Since today is Wednesday that means it's home health visitation day. Dana is coming I'm so excited. But she was a bit late and I've learned that she always notifies me when she's going to be late and I didn't hear any noise from my cell phone but I've learned to check because my stupid phone has developed a habit of silence in itself – – I think just for the fun of it – – and sure enough there is a message from Dana indicated she was running late. There is also seven messages which blew me away. I really should check my phone more often. Well, most of the messages were duds, a couple from kids and one from my positions office robot let me know that I have a doctors appointment this morning! The message came in on Sunday afternoon but like I said I didn't hear anything. 9:45 AM that was my appointment time. The first thing Dana said when she came in was the have anything to do today I would cancel it. That would've been nice but now it's a trip to the Intermountain medical Center's campus then inbound to the DRAC office 30 streets north.

I dressed in layers even taking my having ready and lain across my legs. I was wearing shorts of course. I didn't have to endure the punishment of the elements too long and I got to the doctor's office with about a half an hour to kill so I called the DRAC folks just to make sure the meeting was on. I couldn't get anyone of course. I called the one guy I really thought was on top of things he really is a busy person I quite like him. Left a message on his cell phone as well as is landline. I never heard anything back so I figured what the heck is going to be a meeting and I will be there. I took Route 100 N. bound which is State Street getting off at 3900 S. and for 300 S. it's three blocks east. It wasn't raining it was just cold and windy but I made it the meeting is for 1 o'clock I got there about 12:45 PM and of course the door was locked to the office. I figured as much but still I was just glad to wait inside. 3900S and third E.'s a bit of a rough neighborhood, broken sidewalks, fast food, check-cashing and money loan joints are all around. DRAC's office is in a office complex that truly is seen better days. It's kind of spooky. For an organization that services people with disabilities the building is not all accessible nor is the office they doing and have a lever handle on the door. Thankful to be in sight at least waiting I decided I would follow-up with another call to my buddy Ron our current executive secretary and financial guy for the operation and who I remember was one who called the meeting every Wednesday for the next couple weeks at 1 o'clock. I pick up and we have this weird conversation rethinks I'm another Mark Smith that he works with until he finds out that it's me and then I find out there is no meeting today. He didn't remember there being a meeting and there was no reason to be a meeting because they met Monday I had no idea.

Is no reason to get mad or upset just accept things as they are and move on and that's what I did as soon as is able to figure out a way to open the door to the outside of the building which was very much inaccessible…

No comments: