Thursday, July 15, 2021

Cherry R. B.



Remember yesterday I did the interview about my part in the history of DRAC? That was a great interview but it was also over lunch so I finished my portion of the project hungry. It'd been a while since I've done lunch at Hires big H downtown Salt Lake. I guess the placement around since 1953 which to me does not sound like that many years but actually it is almost 70! What I like about the Big H is that it's a glimpse of what Salt Lake, and all the cities, used to be like decades ago. In fact this downtown Salt Lake restaurant still has “runners” individuals whose job it is to run out to the car take the order and then returned a few minutes later with that order allowing the driver/family to eat in the car but why they would want to do that in yesterday's heat as opposed to coming inside I would know.


I elected to go inside of course and was fairly easy to find a place to park and go over the menu. I've been going to this place ever since I moved to this town in 1984. In fact my second apartment is just a few blocks away from here. A lots changed in this part of town, new apartments are sprouting up like mushrooms anywhere there's a piece of ground that seems a new apartment complexes going in almost high rises in the most bizarre configurations you can imagine. I'm sure more than one developer has their eyes on Hires big H but there's a number of restaurants in this little area: Ruby steakhouse,Litsa pizza and a few others are all compressed together in just a couple blocks surrounded by these new apartment complexes. I cannot even imagine a boon this little economy is apartments of wrought in this little economy. Soon after I was led to my table a menu appeared. It's the same menu they've had since I started frequenting this place the only thing that'sctually mixture drink changed is been the prices – – unbelievable but unbelievably good as well so I guess you accept the price change. The hamburgers are good there's no question about it and the greasy slick grill affect is authentic but what I like best more than anything is the ability to order a cherry root beer. Not a fancy dancy cylinder full of premixed beverage but just a clear transparent plastic pitcher filled from the beverage dispenser root beer and then cherry flavoring added to taste! Almost like they did in the old days. I can still remember them filling the curvy Coca-Cola glass with ice then the root beer and then the cherry flavor. It's just not the same when it all comes mixed from the factory. The cherries focused you can really taste it mixed in with the root beer. Mind you the same good flavor one would get with the cherry coke as well. But for me the cherry root beer was the best part of a time when the soda jerk actually jerked and mixed your drink…

No comments: