Monday, July 26, 2021

Pat's Barbecue Monday

 




I never continue to surprise myself. I went out for barbecue for lunch today. It's not that I necessarily don't like barbecue – – in fact I love to barbecue when I've got the equipment and the meats. It's just barbecue going out in public eating really messy foods and trying to remain somewhat presentable. Even at my best I'm less than presentable at barbecue on a cross between the appearance of a manic clown and the most gruesome scene from a Hannibal Lecter movie. But maybe it's my age or maybe it's the pandemic or coming out of the pandemic (hopefully hopefully) that I'm changing my mind and today Dianne and I went to one of our favorite barbecue joints, if we have one, Pats Barbecue located just around the corner from 21st South Trax station.


Pats is a weird place if you ask me. It's one of those places I really want to like but every time I go I'm just reminded that how blue-collar the places and I don't have any room to talk at all. But Pats is a working man's joint as well as I hang out for college kids were skaters or whatever youth seems to be on the fringe. I remember we went to Pats barbecue a few years ago when our favorite band the Gamma Rays were playing some sets. It was a lot of fun but a very strange experience. The Gamma rays are quite an eclectic group. Maybe it's just the band themselves that we like and the fact the leader of the band saved my butt one New Year's Eve. That event was documented somewhere in this blog.bblog Again maybe it's the pandemic and it's hard to get help but I swear our server was a former felon – – now I don't have anything to substantiate that comment so I'm going entirely on visual representation and verbal output but she worked hard and was quite nice. Who cares if she's work release are trying to make it back in life after doing 1 to 10? Who am I to throw stones? She worked hard and saved us about the two. I hope she makes it.


Maybe it's because I no longer have access to my barbecue. I can't believe how much I look forward to this afternoon. It was fun also little worried at the beginning when my home health person was late this morning fairly late almost an hour which two of my whole schedule. But, I talked her into helping me get dressed and gave her a relatively healthy tip for home health person. I got out of the house and quite surprisingly made all my contact points and was still about 15 minutes early! How lucky am I? I did not have to wait long and Dianne soon got off her bus coming in from Murray. We met that Murray Central and jumped the train down to 2100 S. Whenever we gone to Pat's barbecue when we were married we are always in my van seemed like it took forever to get to the place. It was only when I was using the train that I began to realize how close the barbecue joint was to the train tracks. It's probably less than half a block and it's an easy walk and a great surprise.


Dianne got the pulled pork sandwich I got the two choices of meat and three add-on meal. I hope it was a deal not sure the server talk me into the extra add-on. My two mmeats were sausage and brisket and great company what better way to start the week…?

No comments: